Chinese-Forums

Visa crackdown in Beijing?

Simon_CH

Hi there

A friend on a student Visa here told me yesterday that there seems to be an ongoing crackdown related to some anniversary on foreigners working (or just living) here with student Visas, and that lots of people are not getting their Visas renewed. 

It doesn't affect me personally but I always suspected that a large proportion of younger foreigners in Beijing are in some sort of irregular Visa situation, and that if the Chinese authorities really started to become serious about it many might have to leave. 

What's your take on that? Regular occurance, or is it getting worse?

Hasn't this been going on for years now? I remember when I was in China in 2012 being warned to be mindful about anything I said to officials up there that might cause trouble for my visa status. I was just going up there for vacation during the break.

I suspect that it's something that does wax and wane a bit, but at that time it was partially dependent upon appeasing the locals. Sort of like how in the US the actual actions of the ICE tends to change a bit depending upon whether or not there's been any high profile crimes committed by foreigners. Especially ones that aren't in the country legally.

Not sure how it is at other schools, but for our students everything going normal and steady, including visa extensions. No major changes since the big visa regulation change last year, either in policy or how things are handled.

There was a lot of rattling in 2012 about this, a supposed 100-day crackdown if I remember correctly, but I didn't hear about anything actually happening back then. This time, however, a friend of mine on a business visa in Beijing just got caught. He's being fined RMB 5000 and is forced to leave the country. Though after 5 hours of interrogation, the police actually kind of liked him and felt sorry for him. I imagine if you act like an idiot towards the officers you will get a much higher fine and immediate deportation. Play safe, folks.

@mtpastille: what do you mean with "just got caught"? They came into his office and found that he was illegaly working (on a business visa it is possible to do that - just not receive a salary).

To clarify my post above, obviously all our students actually do study, which might be the reason why we have no problems - if someone just wanted some dodgy student visa and then work on it, they would probably do it at one of the dirt cheap universities, not us.

If you're working in a kindergarten in Beijing and your visa was issued in Luohu - well, you're busted.The police aren't stupid and holding a business visa doesn't give anyone a 'but I wasn't being paid, honest' get-out-of-jail (or stay-in-China) card. MTPastille, what was your friend actually doing, and how had he obtained his business visa?

No surprise if they're running checks around sensitive dates. Police have got to look busy after all. 

Anyway, a 5,000 yuan fine is getting off lightly

in May, 2011, he had been teaching English in Shenzhen, China... arrested on accusations of fraud...detention center for ten months... moved to Qingdao... three-year prison sentence... sewed clothes, assembled electronics, and made bags.

I think this is one of those cases when it helps being white and blond too.

My friend was indeed a kindergarten teacher in Beijing. The police showed up unannounced at the school to do a "routine check" on all the foreign teachers.

I believe he got his visa renewed several times through one of the regular smudgy routes, though I'm not sure of the particulars.

There are yearly stories of various crackdowns going on throughhout China, especially Beijing it seems. As some other posters mention, you rarely see any evidence of a "crackdown". That word makes a nice headline though.

They usually tighten up / slow down application proceedures through the holidays though.

You gots ta have your paper work in order!!