Chinese-Forums

Type 1 Diabetic Living/Working

jdsully

Hello all,

I'm an American looking to get some info in regards to diabetic supplies in Beijing. I'm still in the process of figuring out what kind of medical insurance the company that just offered me a teaching position can provide (I'll know more later today)--but I just got the offer last night and have to let them know of my acceptance in three days and so I figured I'd get started on asking around just in case the insurance doesn't cover so much.

I'm on Humalog and Lantus. I've read some threads on this forum about 3ml of Lantus costing 290 RMB in Beijing (however it was a four year-old post), but I contacted the International SOS pharmacy and they've told me it would cost about 658 RMB for this cartridge. I'm still contacting pharmacies,but does anyone know of better prices out there? Also, are the prices of syringes/test strips reasonable? I wouldn't mind switching over to a generic glucose monitor if I could have cheaper and more available access to test strips.

I apologize for the broadness of questions--any info at all would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

-John

• Like 2

Maybe JDRF can help with your questions? By the way my 13 year old is a type 1 and my mentor in blind rehab was married to a type 1 and they went to China together to teach in the 1980s. She told me that he brought along all his needles and meds and so forth. At any rate I hope you stay in touch in here with your experiences as a type 1 in China because that information is going to be helpful to my son when he goes to China or Taiwan someday.