Chinese-Forums

Tapes and cds

Dan Bang

Hi,

I'm a beginner in Chinese - I've only been studying here in Beijing at BLCU for 4 weeks now... I was wondering what people would suggest me to buy (and perhaps in addition tell me where) with regard of tapes and/or cds that could help me in my Chinese learning process. I'm not interested (for the moment) in stuff that would be too time demanding, for instance in the shape of an advanced textbook on top of the tape/cd, since I already have a serious amount of what I would call homework. I would prefer tapes/cds that I could listen to and practise while for example laying in my bed or walking back and forth to school, if you know what I mean - but if there is some magic solution out there that include a textbook then please post it as well... By the way, is it useful to get hold on the tapes made for the BLCU textbooks that we use in class? Thanks in advance...

I think the tapes you listen to in your tingli class would be a good investment (maybe Y120). You should be able to get them in the big bookstore on wangfujing - just bring the books to show the sales assistant in case you can't see them & ask for "nei ben shu de lvyindai".

I was only in Beijing for a few weeks (after doing evening classes in the UK) & found the tingli classes too hard - but I got a lot out of listening to tingli tapes on my own (rewinding them frequently!)

For listening skills I always recommend this set, which you can pick up at the BLCU bookstore. However, if you are looking for a bit of extra practice, I'd consider just getting hold of some music you like and listening to that, listening to the radio, etc.

I'm not sure which books you are using, but if they've been published then the BLCU bookshop is likely to have them.

Roddy