Chinese-Forums

Residence Permit Question

Gianluca

• New Members

Hello.

I am an American citizen living and working in Dongguan China for almost 8 years.

I currently have a valid Residence Permit Visa that expires in 2015.

I am relocating for a new job in Guangzhou.

I was told that in order to do so, I need to change my Residence Permit Visa.

They said that I need to leave China, get a Z Visa in Hong Kong, re-enter China and start the whole process again.

This sounds pretty strange to me.

I thought that all I need to do is apply for new residence at the local PSB office in Guangzhou with new employment letter, passport with current residence permit and new housing home certificate.

Please let me know the procedure here.

Thanks in advance!

What you need to do is to extend your residence permit for work, although you change the city where you work. 

Normally speaking, a cancellation letter of your current Alien Employment Permit is required, which is issued by the Dongguang Labor Bureau. A release letter from your Dongguang employing company, stating that you finished the contract with them. 

A no-criminal record certificate may be required. 

The NEW company in Guangzhou can apply for a new Alien Employment Permit. After getting that, your residence permit can be extended for another 1 year. 

For more information, please refer to http://www.cn-visa.com/beijing_work_visa_renewal.asp

It is only for your reference. From city to city, there may be some difference.