Chinese-Forums

Change to another job, residence permit expiring...

j.k.j.D.D.

Hello,

I wondered if anyone here could give me some advice on my situation. I am currently holding a 6 month residence permit, and am looking to change to another school right around the time it expires. The school I am currently working for has a history of being quite harsh with employees who leave their contract early, and that is precisely what I am planning to do. The school has gotten ridicuous about imposing fines for every imaginable thing, such as speaking any Chinese during class and several other things. I found a better paying job that seems to have a far better working environment, but I am concerned as one of the owners of this school works in the government and am wondering if there's anything she could do if I leave the contract early. Does the fact that my residence permit expires shortly help my case at all? Are Z visas currently able to be applied for in Hong Kong, or would I likely need to go back to my home country? (in the case that I do not get a termination letter from current job)

Your contract should have information about a period of giving notice. Why don't you do that?

If you just left, the company could sue you for breach of contract, and inform the PSB. The PSB would then have reason to prevent you getting another permit and, with all due respect, they'd be perfectly justified in doing so.