Chinese-Forums

L visa to X2 issue

Ivvy

Hi guys,

I'm looking to go to Shanghai International Studies University this summer to learn a little bit of Mandarin(only 5-6 weeks). Right now I have a flight, accomodation booked, an acceptance letter but unfortunately I have no JW202. As the university didn't provide the JW202 I instead applied for a 60 day tourist visa, which I have. My question is about how I should proceed. Expecting something to go wrong I booked a second appointment at the visa agency to get a visa, which I could do on Monday, but unless the university agree to email me a JW202 immediately It's unlikely to actually be useful.

How do I go about converting a tourist L visa to an X2? Would it be possible to just turn up at the university? Would it be a major issue my visa is only a tourist one as it will actually cover the entire time of my course?

Any advise is really appreciated!

Dan

Did the University not provide guidence as to which visa you should apply for, given the short nature of your course?

If they didn't, have you contacted them for advice as to the best visa for someone in your situation?

Are you assuming you will need to convert your visa because you are studying and its not the correct study visa or have you been told you will have to?

Again, it seems like the University would be the best people to ask. They must get this kind of query all the time from summer program students.

Welcome to the forums also ;)