Chinese-Forums

Z Visa for part time work?

PeterReefman

• New Members

Hi all

I'm in the process of relocating to China to live and work, but have come up against a Visa hurdle.

The company I was to work for on a full time basis has decided not to go ahead with the position, which obviously means I can't get a Z visa through them.

I am currently talking to another company about a part-time position, but they have just told me the new Z Visas are not available for part time work.

I can't find anything on the Web to confirm this either way, and the company is also not sure.

Does anyone know either way - and if so, can you provide a link to me so I can show my prospective employer?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

I don't think it's legal for a foreigner to do part-time work in China, unless:

1) You're a student and ... (This isn't really set in stone yet, never seen anyone get permission)

2) You've got a green card (Unless you have a Nobel Prize or are an Olympic athlete, etc, I'd forget it)

You could technically sign a full time contract while working part time hours.

You should know though that you can only do 1 job in China at a time. whichever company sponsors your visa... you're theirs, you can't earn money anywhere else.

I think it might depend what the job was. My contract was for only 20 hours a week, which presumably would be considered part time, but that didn't seem to be an issue. It was for teaching English, so I'm not really sure if there's some sort of exception for teachers or if the hours are counted differently.

@hedwards

When submitting an application for a work visa, a contract for full time work (which in China is legally 40 hours/week) needs to be submitted. They might have submitted something different to what they signed with you or added another 20 hours "preparation time" to it, however the contract needs to be for 40 hours per week.