Chinese-Forums

Pronunciation of hui - 会

xyz123abc

Hey, there, This character is pronounced differently in both archchinese.com and neospeech hui16

Archchinese pronounces it more or less like hui4 (hu ì). The site also mentions an alternative pronunciation: kuai4

The voice pronounces it like huei4 (huè i) or kuei4, I am not sure.

会.mp3

Nothing matches, could you please tell me the truth about this character´s pronunciation?

Keep in mind I am pretty much n00b ;)

EDIT:

https://translate.google.com/#zh-CN/en/会

In google translate, the character is pronounced like kuei4 or huei too!

It is pronounced differently depending on the context. When the word involves accounting, it's pronounced kuai4. So the word for accountant/accountancy - 会计 - is pronounced kuai4ji4.

In all other cases, it's pronounced hui4. So the sentence 我会说中文 - I am able to speak Chinese - has 会 pronounced as hui4

• Like 2

Is the pronunciation in the attached file correct? (attached file in first post)

In that file it is pronounced, to my ear, as huei4, but archchinese pronounces it as hui4 (http://www.archchinese.com/chinese_english_dictionary.html?find=%E4%BC%9A)

The are definitely different pronunciations, which one is correct?

The pronunciation at archchinese is weird to me. Even though the word is written "hui" in pinyin, in everyday speech it is generally pronounced as [huei]. I have only ever heard Chinese teachers pronouncing it as [hui]. In general, the pinyin "ui" is pronounced [uei].

The final which is written "-ui" in pinyin is usually read out as "-uei". It is always written as "-ui".

That said, there is quite a bit of variation, and you will hear people pronounce it more like "-ui" or more like "-uei". The latter is by far more common.

• Like 1