Chinese-Forums

Can anyone tell me what this means?

andrew1324

I work in a chinese restaraunt and the chefs speak mandarin I think. Anyway, they have started called me what sounds like "momo" and they sing it at me and everything. It is annoying and they know it winds me up so they always do it. So does any one know what this means? I probably have not got the spelling correct but it definately sounds like "momo". Thanks in advance for any replies.

My GUESS is it is "毛毛" in Cantonese. "毛" is pronounced as "Mao" in Mandarin. It is a surname (as in Chairman Mao), and it means "hair". "毛毛" can be a nickname for someone whose surname is 毛 (I have a girl friend with this nickname because it is her surname) or for someone who is hairy. It can also be used to describe light rain.

But of course this is only my guess. It could be something else. :wink:

every time I have asked them they go thumbs up and say good good for boy, not for girl. I'm so confused, I will hopefully find out one day. Thanks for the help, I will ask them if they are calling me hairy and see what they say.

Hm, could it be 馍馍? which means "steamed bread", may be they use it to describe your skin, are you a Caucasian? Or could it relate to your work?

yeah I am pretty pale skinned so maybe that could be it. I will try asking them if it is my skin, and tell you what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

of course they aren't homo, it's just means they like you. in this country if anyone plays jokes on you, it probably means they thing u're easy to get along with.

additionally, in China you'll possibly notice that two girls hand in hand when they're shopping or walking, that's not homosexually neither.