Chinese-Forums

Using brush & ink - newbie questions

cunparis

One of my hobbies is painting, and a few painters I admire use "indian ink" with a brush to do simple brush paintings. So I thought I'd try it. I bought some of this "indian ink", which is funny because here in France it's called "Chinese ink" but in english it's called "Indian ink". Well recently I started studying Chinese and now I learn that this same ink is what's used for calligraphy. So now I'm really interested, because I can not only do simple paintings but also practice writing as well. But I'm not sure what type of brush to use? Hog bristle? Sable? Synthetic? Does it matter? Can I use regular printer/copier paper for practicing? Any tips to get started would be appreciated. I think the Chinese calligraphy is so beautiful.

But I'm not sure what type of brush to use? Hog bristle? Sable? Synthetic? Does it matter?

Of course it doesn't matter,just choose the brush you enjoy. In general, 狼毫(weasel’s hair)would be better for beginner, because it is easier to control and more powerful, some people use goat’s hair, but I don’t like it much .

As for the papers, hmmm, to the best of my knowledge, nobody uses printer/copier paper unless just for fun, if you can not get the Xuan paper or毛边纸(most Chinese beginners use that, much cheaper than Xuan paper), I think newspaper is the best choice.

Coincidentally, I just scared my British friend, because I asked him if British parents use their babies' hair to make brushes. Chinese parents nowadays like to use their new-born baby’s hair to make brush as a souvenir. The cost depends on the material used for the shaft of the brush - the cheapest would be a few hundred yuan, but the most expensive ivory ones could cost over 1000Y

• 4 months later...

Perhaps by now, several moons past your post, you have become a master calligrapher; however, surprised that your post has remained so dormant from replies, I feel compelled to offer these minor thoughts in hopes that your artistic instincts flourish. First, there are a sufficient number of very fine "How To" books that have been published. Inter-library loan would likely aid in your studying the various and, also, traditional, ways of learing the venerable art. Also, there are Oriental Art Supply stores on the web that outline the available traditional tools and prices. And, while rice paper and silk are the reverred media, for practice, newsprint paper is best. The larger city newspapers usually have end-rolls of newsprint that can be obtained freely or at a nominal cost.

Study and copy the masters...Good Luck....