Chinese-Forums

Shanghai Trip

Konglong

I'm planning my first trip to Shanghai in July. Any must see places that you have visited? Suggestions, comments, etc. I'll be there for one month with plenty of time to look around.

Curious about hotel prices, travel, food.... thanks

I have this pattern of going to Shanghai about twice a year. According to my diary, these are places that I went to in recent trips -

外灘, 淮海路, 書城, 新天地, 多倫文化名人街, 東台路, 南京路, 上海博物館/美術館 (each and every time!!!), 劉海粟美術館, 城隍廟, 老街, 同里, 周莊, 朱家角, 蘇州, ...

If you have a month, then you could also consider Nanjing and Hangzhou.

I am going there again next week, and would also like to hear about other suggestions.

• New Members

You can also visit the Yuyuan Garden in Pudong, the Yuyuan Market (with more than 100 shops),Huxinting Tea House. If you like to eat, then you can go to Yunnan Lu (my favorite food is the hotpot and there are plenty little hotpot restaurants in Shanghai), however, I've never actually been to these places (I just did a search online), but I'm planning to go there this summer. Also, the Oriental Pearl Television Tower offers a great view of Wai Tan. Have fun in Shanghai!

I have this pattern of going to Shanghai about twice a year. According to my diary' date=' these are places that I went to in recent trips -

外灘, 淮海路, 書城, 新天地, 多倫文化名人街, 東台路, 南京路, 上海博物館/美術館 (each and every time!!!), 劉海粟美術館, 城隍廟, 老街, 同里, 周莊, 朱家角, 蘇州, ...

If you have a month, then you could also consider Nanjing and Hangzhou.

I am going there again next week, and would also like to hear about other suggestions.[/quote']

Your drill is similar to mine. I'd add Xujiahui for some high-powered shopping (old hat to you Hong Kongers, I'll admit).

Yunnan Lu for small eats, and Weihai Lu just west of People's Park is another food street which has a lot of outside tables.

With the express train, Hangzhou is almost as close as Suzhou, though I do prefer Suzhou and its classical gardens. (Richard Nixon reportedly summarized Hangzhou as "beautiful lake, ugly city" and I tend to agree). Nanxiang is underrated, IMHO. There's a great old food street there (forgot the name) and of course there is the "original" Nanxiang Xiaolong Bao restaurant, if you can believe the hype.

Wuxi has Tai Hu, almost as scenic as Xi Hu, plus the famous Wuxi spare ribs, youmian jing, and its own venerable version of xiaolong bao.