Chinese-Forums

Where to rent in Beijing

Johnny20270

From Jinsong to Tuanjiehu would take some 20-25 minutes by scooter I'd say. However, most of those 25 minutes would be spent on the Third Ring Road, swerving around buses, trying not to get run over by cars and breathing exhaust fumes. You probably won't get killed but it's not a pleasant commute. (I biked from Shuangjing to Sanlitun and Liangmaqiao sometimes.) If you're going to go to school in Tuanjiehu, I'd recommend living in Tuanjiehu. There are some rather nice older neighbourhoods east of the metro station and at least one very upmarket new complex as well.

Do you know yet which language school you're going to, and if so where is it? Then people can be more specific in their recommendations.

Hi Lu

haha that made me laugh! sounds like a pleasant experience

things have changed I have a Chinese friend who's lease is coming to an end in August and she needs to sign for another year somewhere. I have convinced her to share a more upmarket flat with me if I foot most of the rent, (which I am more than happy to do given I have a live-in 翻译 :lol: )

The problem is she needs to move in a few weeks so I need to make a decision asap. She works in wangfujing and doesn't want to have too far of a commute by subway. 

I realize its choosing a place is "putting the cart before the horse". I haven't decided the language school but it looks like its coming down to BICC or LTL as they seem to have genuine integrity. Choosing a language school is harder than I thought as its imperative that I get an X1 visa and many (understandably) require me to sign and pay substantial deposit for more than 6 - 12months course.  

I am getting far too many vagaries about class sizes, return of deposits if I am refused a visa, flexibility of classes, and most conversations seems to suggest I pay right now. I even spoke one of the main language schools today (with an office in London) and after 10minutes she was strongly encouraging me pay thousands by credit card while we were speaking. She seemed to be somewhat annoyed when I pressed for specifics. Maybe its part Chinese "hard sell" cultural but in Europe that's a sure fire way of driving your business into the ground.  :-?  

My concern is committing to a long period by just judging a school from the web and a lot of sometimes questionable reviews by one time posters. Hence I want to do a bit more ringing around about language schools first but given they are all in the same area, i think it may not be too concerning.  

Actually Lu, thats a good suggestion!! East of tuanjiehu or hujialou might be a good place. Means its 6 stops to Dongdan (which is what she is doing and I am in easy reach of about 6 schools. And can go to chaoyangpark easily enough by scooter

Any particular area / complex you know of that she can look at? I have never been and my friend is not familiar with that side of the side of the city so no clue!

Electric scooters here typically go about 30km/hour and have a max range of 40-50 km per charge. I personally would live in nice apartments near Tuanjiehu on line 10 or Qingnianlu on line 6 before the places you mentioned already. North of Dongzhimenwai also has a lot of options, including nice ones.

The upmarket one I know is Park Apartments 天安豪园, a colleague of mine used to live there. Note that this is very upmarket, so perhaps that's rather out of your budget. Judging from Google Maps there are a few more complexes just north of Nongzhanguan Nanlu that might be nice. South of Nongzhanguan Nanlu is a bit older, the houses aren't as modern but it's more human-scale and a bit greener. Lots of small eateries and also lots of rental agencies. (All this information is at least a year and a half old.) (Now that I hear myself talk about it I think I should have just bought a bike in week 1 and rent a place in Tuanjiehu instead of Shuangjing. Anyway.)

My advice would be for your friend to just go to that area, walk into some agencies and look at places to get an idea. Actually my advice would be for you to do this, but you're not there yet.

What's north of Dongzhimenwai? I think I recall the area (fairly green, river, Hannashan) but don't remember many places to live there. And presumably if you'd take the metro it'd be at Dongzhimen, line 2 is not really pleasant imo (no airco and very crowded).

Where are BICC and LTL located?

What's north of Dongzhimenwai? I think I recall the area (fairly green, river, Hannashan) but don't remember many places to live there. And presumably if you'd take the metro it'd be at Dongzhimen, line 2 is not really pleasant imo (no airco and very crowded).

There are some decent choices in the Liangmahe area INSIDE the third ring; outside the price rises quickly, as does congestion and noise. I have a few friends that have lived for years very happily, not sure how hard it is to find a place there but the location is great if you move by bike/scooter.

Also, Line 2 is fully air conditioned now (as are all lines, I think) to the point of being chilly at times. Line 2 is also the emptiest line to ride, although Dongzhimen is probably the most hectic stop besides those on east or north line 10, given the transfer from line 13.

just to update you guys, seems like prices are rising in Beijing. My friend has looked at about 10 flats now and in fu li cheng area is 7500 min for one bed and 8500 min for 2. A lot of 2bed at 9,500 upwards. Looks like a central enough area though. Similar prices outside fu li cheng near shuangjing

Maybe should have gone to difference city :)

Fulicheng is fairly upmarket though, 8500 yuan for a two-bedroom apartment doesn't sound expensive for an apartment in that complex. Someone I knew lived at a place called Hopson International Park, just north of the Shuangjing footbridge but still south of the canal. Might be a bit cheaper. Across the Third Ring Road is also Donghuan 18, a smaller complex but should also be cheaper than Fulicheng. And in the street north of that are some more smaller houses which should be significantly cheaper but also less nice. South-east of the Shuangjing crossroads is another big complex that I forgot the name of and which should also be a bit cheaper.

But do keep in mind that the commute from Shuangjing is not necessarily the nicest, and DO NOT live in Shuangjing if you're going to go to school in Wudaokou. That will wear you out something bad.

hi Lu, yes that was the cheapest she could find and said it wasn't great at all. I know someone living there and she pays 9500 for a two bed

Yeah not going to Wudaokou, way too far from there. I initially thought i don't mind where I live as I thought i can just study on the metro. Its actually great on a London metro or train as its a great time to get through your tedious flash cards. Not on a Beijing metro me-thinks!  

• 4 weeks later...
  • New Members

Hello everybody, my plan is going to study chinese in a private school for one month between january and february ( my level will be B1at that moment). Will be possible rent a room just for one month? Or is it too short term?  School's accommodations are too expansive. thanks

Renting for one month isn't impossible but it might be hard. It really depends on which area your school is in and where you want to live.

In Wudaokou, depending on the time of year, you can sometimes find one month rents. However, these tend to be quite expensive as landlords want longer tenants really. They might rent for a month just to fill a gap (during holidays). My friend found a months rent for 4000 round here during the summer holidays. That's not cheap really.

Another option would be to contact a hostel directly and negotiate a long term stay with them. They might be able to cut the cost of a bed/room per day a bit lower. However, depending on the hostel, you might not have a kitchen etc

Really, you need to tell us ...

How much is your school charging?  Where is the school located? What's your budget for rent?

You mean you literally pay the landlord emonthly BUT have a longer term contract OR just have a rolling month contract? Surely that means tenants just up and leave with little notice? I'm from the UK... Never heard of this rental arrangement.

Flat shares are very common. Beijing, and especially wudaokou, is an expensive city in terms of housing costs. I would say just paying for a room for one month is not as common though. It is possible but would take some luck and a fair amount of searching to find a landlord willing to have you in their place for just a month. It will also depend on the time of year. In wudaokou, during University holidays (esp. Summer) there are many empty apartments so if you just want a short term let it's easier to find as longer term students won't be back for a couple of months.

Generally thoughh, landlords want you tied to longer contracts than one month (6 to 12 months). I have even had friends try find somewhere to live on a 6 month contract and struggle.

Saying that, I think a few more landlords are willing to rent on a room by room basis to foreigners these days. Not sure why. My friend recently signed a 6 month rent in a house share and two of his room mates are just there for 4 months. They pay more per month than they would if they stayed longer because of the short term contract. I did think they were all paying way too much for their rooms though.

Outside of Wudaokou, i don't really know... It would seem like renting for a month would be harder. I don't think Chinese people can do that very easily. That kind of arrangement comes about because of foreigners staying short term. I think anyway... Haha

no I mean just rent a room on a monthly basis, i.e. a flat share. Yes, so the tenant gives 1 months deposit and you pay rent at the start of every month, i.e. a rolling one month contract . If you want to leave you just give ones month notice. Most of London is like that for individuals as very few can afford a one bedroom flat at London prices. 

If you go to an agency to rent a single bedroom place you would of course have to sign for a 1 year contract. 

Among students and the youngest professional flat sharing is common in Beijing, although a more accurate term for what you describe is sub-letting. Someone signs a 1 year lease but has extra bedrooms, which they sublet (normally) in 3 month increments with a 1-month deposit. Normally the rent per room is much higher than if the original rent was being split proportionally; that helps balance the risk the original leasee assumes with hosting short-term flat mates.

It is very, very easy to find single rooms to sublet in Beijing, although the obvious risk is that you'll more easily have a personality clash with room mates or soon realize you are significantly overpaying.

• New Members

Really, you need to tell us ...

How much is your school charging?  Where is the school located? What's your budget for rent?

Both the schools i've seen on internet (Hutong school and CLE) are located in Chaoyang district and the price for a shared apartment is almost 1000euros. I don't know which are the average cost for a room in Beijng, but i searched on the beijiner to have an idea and i think the price are lower. Is it right?

Thanks

You have two handicaps: you're only staying for a month and you're not familiar with Beijing. 1000 euros for a month is a lot, but the thing about the Hutong School is that you can get the whole package: pick up from the airport, help getting a phone card, a room ready for you without further searching, a social life you can jump right into... You don't just pay for the room, you pay for the convenience. (I'm not affiliated with the Hutong School in any way but the organisation I used to work for often referred interns there. Almost all of them had a very good experience.) Cheaper rooms certainly exist, but you need to look for them and landlords/subletters usually won't be very eager to rent it out for only a month.

You've already found the Beijing classifieds, rooms are advertised there so you can just see if you find anything better there.

Chinese-forums doesn't have a quote button, but you can use quote tags: [ quote ] Type the quote here [ / quote ]

Just take out the spaces.

• Like 1