Chinese-Forums

Sunday Chinese Puzzle Club

Shelley

I am going to start a weekly Chinese puzzle club "meeting" on Sundays.

I have quite a few Chinese puzzles, these are usually in the form of word games.

I plan to set the puzzle on Sunday (no set time) and if there are a lot of calls for clues by Thursday, I will give some hidden in spoilers.

The answer will be given 1 or 2 weeks later depending on the difficulty and the general consensus of all the "members"

I will endeavor to keep to this schedule but if life gets in the way i will try and do it as soon as possible after the due date.

So we will start with one of the first ones i came across years a go in a wonderful book entitled "Proverbs and common sayings from the Chinese together with Much Related and Unrelated Matter, Interspersed with Observations on Chinese Things-in-General" by Arthur H. Smith written in 1902.

I am very pleased to own an original copy of this book, and this is where I will be getting the majority of puzzles and word games form.

It is called the Universe in a Wine Pitcher and has more than a 100 characters making up the shape of a pitcher.

A guide to reading it is given as: the text is arranged in lines of 7 characters each. The starting point is the spout.

But this help turns out not to be as accurate as it may first seem. One further clue given as part of the puzzle is the the lid of the pot is a verse by itself.

Good luck and enjoy

post-31145-0-21294700-1407084464_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh sorry to hear about your computer, I guess you will be replacing it when the insurance comes through. The puzzle isn't going away so you can attempt it later.

if there is not much interest I will just leave that one up. If things change i will add another one