Chinese-Forums

Intra-Company Transfer (lesser work experience?)

cmark11

• New Members

I'm considering an opportunity with my current employer in Shanghai (I am US based) but am concerned whether I will be able to get a visa. In the case of an intra-company transfer, is the 2 years of working experience still strictly enforced for a Z visa? At the time that I apply for the visa, I will have worked for the company for just over a year.

I do have my Bachelor's degree and before graduation, I had a paid internship for 14 months (was technically a contractor through an agency for 11 of those months). Will internship experience pre-graduation in a closely related field count at all towards the 2 year requirement?

Finally, I've heard talk of using a M visa and making regular trips as necessary. Is this at all a common practice?

Thank you!!! :D

From my experience they do not strictly enforce the rules. I was able to get a Z visa in Shanghai after only one year’s work experience (also a graduate with a Bachelors degree). However, that does not mean it will be the same in every case. It does depend a lot on your company and how well established they are. Fortunately the people I work for have good connections locally so it wasn’t much of a problem. Some smaller companies I know have struggled to get visas for local staff. From my experience they do not strictly enforce the rules. I was able to get a Z visa in Shanghai after only one year’s work experience (also a graduate with a Bachelors degree). However, that does not mean it will be the same in every case. It does depend a lot on your company and how well established they are. Fortunately the people I work for have good connections locally so it wasn’t much of a problem. Some smaller companies I know have struggled to get visas for local staff. 

• New Members

Touchstone57, it is a pretty well established company but I don't know how much I can count on them utilizing many local connections other than people at our local company.

Did you receive your visa somewhat recently? I'm wondering if it's changed under the visa changes from last September.

I received my visa this March, so fairly recently. For the past two years I have had my contract renewed and my Z visa renewed without any problems.

The best thing to do is speak with your companies branch in China, they will be best suited to give you advice. Do you have many people from other branches going to work over there? A lot established companies will have HR staff regularly deal with these sort of issues.

Be warned though, in China, if something has worked in the past, it may not always be the same. We've tried sponsor a visa for foreign employee's and it has been refused for no reason at all, despite hiring ten other candidates from abroad in the same year.