Chinese-Forums

M visa for work and study

nath

Hi guys,

Very quick question re M Visas. I've been in China 2 years, and am currently on a student residence permit which runs out 20 Sept 2014 (previous Z visa one year, now 2 six month student visas).

I came to Beijing a couple of weeks ago to find a job willing to give me a Z visa, and alas, despite a multitude of interviews, the golden ticket still remains elusive. So, I've started to look into other options, in particular the business M visa, which I can get for a year. I will be working part-time and studying on this, probably more work than study.

I have two options- one, the guanxi route. My friend can get me a Shenzhen based M visa- I firstly have to go to HK and then leave China once in the remaining year? The visa will be based in SZ I believe, so still not sure what I will tell the PSB my reason for being in BJ is. Price 6000RMB plus

Second option is an agency- I don't have to leave BJ and then can guarantee a BJ based M visa. Problem is I have to leave China every 3 months, which from BJ is expensive and an utter ball-ache (note I'm a UK citizen, no free Mongolian visa). Price is 7800RMB

My question is this- is it safe to work on this? I won't be in a classroom (just office from time-to-time) and will also be studying. I'm reluctant to get a study visa as I do need to earn some money. Also, when do I need to apply for this visa? Which option would you guys plump for? Or is there a better choice?

Is it safe to work on this? Not that safe no. You would be working illegally so if you were found out then you would be fined and potentially deported. Absolute worst case scenario you would be banned from China for a period. Then again, if you are never found out then no worries. It just depends how much risk you are comfortable.

Could you not try and get a Z visa / work permit with this job?

I would always choose not to work illegally (or the least illegal way) so I personally wouldn't go for either of your options. I would probably opt to continue studying and work on the side. Some work is allowed now which would cover the "time to time" office trips. I doubt they keep track of hours anyway.

If you meet the criteria for the Z visa, and have teaching experience I don't think it would be that hard for you to get another Z visa. The Z visa would probably be the best route for you to be honest, that way you wouldn't have to spend money on tuition to get a student visa or work illegally on an M visa and leave every couple months to do a visa run. 

I'm in a similar position, but I'm interested in the Bejing-based M-visa! Would you mind helping me get hooked up with that? Add me on WeChat- jbedryk  :P

To answer your question, though, you won't be able to legally work on that visa no matter where you are.

Ok, to add to the situation I should say I'm bemused as the people offering this visa want to offer me one issued in 洛杉矶 (Los Angeles). As I'm English, there's really no way I feel I can use this visa. As I have a new job starting in December/January, there's no way I can get a yearly teaching job