Chinese-Forums

Big gaps between Chinese / English lines of text

ChTTay

Let me explain ...

I am writing a guide for my school in English. However, when I mention things in Beijing I am writing the name in English then the Chinese in brackets after that. When I first write it, the formatting doesn't change. The spacing between whole lines is normal. However, when I close microsoft word and open it again, it has automatically formatted the paragraphs. Now, any line with Chinese in it has a huge gap above and below it.

I have tried looking at the formatting (by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+8 ) but there didn't seem to be anything there. Also had a play around with paragraph settings. No luck.

I am using Windows 8.1 and Microsoft Word.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Example: post-47543-0-12452100-1408934272_thumb.png

I think one way is try changing the font of the Chinese. The current one seems to be 微软雅黑, which has a larger line spacing. You can also manually set the line spacing to fixed value, which may need a little adjustment.

ZhangJiang has the correct answer.  You need to set line spacing to a fixed value.  You can do this by modifying the style and going to the format->paragraph dialog box.

From there, there is a drop down box called 'Line spacing'.  Choose the option 'Exactly' and then fiddle with the point size to get what you want.  18pt seems to work well for me in a quick test.

• Like 1