Chinese-Forums

Best Free VPN

jobm

I use Hidemyass, but its reliability is dependent on the city (maybe the provider too?) . I'll have Internet in Shanghai in a few hours. I can check it out.

When I was in Guanzhou, it worked very poorly both at the hotel and at friend's bureau.
It was better in Beijing and even better in smaller towns.

But it is not free.

PS : The VPN always worked well on my PC regardless of the city but in Guanzhou, it was one of the worst Internet experience I ever had. It was so slow most of the times and I tried to use it extensively at two places. In Guanzhou, it was next to impossible to use my VPN on my smartphone or tablet.

It seems to work fine so far. 

Well, not only the cost but also all the time you'll be end saving and far more less frustration over time.

In Shanghai, Hidemyass doesn't that great on mobile devices (tablet & smartphone are Android based). Very hard to get a active connection while no problem whatsoever on my PC.

• 1 month later...

Here's the technical version of why this is a really, very, extremely terrible Bad Idea.

Everything that is sent over HTTP can be logged by default by a VPN (surprise: your username and password when logging into even this forum can be logged by default by the VPN as its sent over HTTP)

Everything that is sent over HTTPS can be logged using a phishing man in the middle attack by requiring you to click through the security warnings that the ssl certificate is not genuine. In fact, you may have noticed the government of China has been doing this for Google and Apple accounts lately. So if you clicked through them thinking "Oh, it's just the silly Chinese government trying to log my information again", it's actually the 'free' VPN provider you've been gallivanting your information through.

Did I mention that if you've ever logged into chinese-forums on a VPN your username/password is now stored by an unknown third party? Not to mention the Chinese government. Surely you don't also re-use your passwords across multiple sites, right?

There's always a motive for someone hosting a VPN. Given that it costs so much money to route traffic, I'm going to hint that the motive is money. Hopefully you're paying that money by paying for a subscription instead of having your account logins harvested.