Chinese-Forums

Starting to officially learn

Celerity

• New Members

I grew up with mandarin speaking parents, so I can make casual conversation with a fellow mandarin speaker. But I don't have the skills to feel confident in striking a conversation with them. The beginner level learning of Chinese is too simple for me, I appear to be stuck in a middle ground. Any tips for someone like me? Thanks

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It can be difficult to gauge where to start when you have some knowledge. Are you thinking of self study or are you going to take classes?

If you are going to take classes start with an intermediate class and see how you go, a lot of schools, universities etc allow you to change level if you discuss this with them before hand.

If you find it too difficult you may just have to go back to the beginning and go through what you know till you get to the part you don't know.  But this might not be too bad because it may fill gaps in your knowledge which you have only got passively so may have omitted things.

And conversely if it is too easy move up a level.

i would say the same for self study but to save money take some textbooks out  of the library. See what level is unknown to you and start there.

There is some good advice about starting to study here http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/5007-some-advice-for-beginners/

And some good advice about self study here  http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/20942-learning-chinese-%E2%80%93-advice-for-the-new-and-independent-student/

I use the New Practical Chinese Reader text books this is available with audio, video and has workbooks and an answer book (useful if you are studying on your own :) )

I would  also recommend Pleco on a smart phone or tablet, Skritter is excellent and there are many more very use apps and programs to help. Hanzi Grids is very good for practicing characters here http://www.hanzigrids.com/

I hope this is of help and not too much in one go :)

Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 1

I find that I just have to use a variety of sources, and vary my language study. I used to be able to rely on just one textbook for my language needs but find now I need lots of exposure to Chinese movies, podcasts such as Chinesepod.com, reading practice with slow-chinese.com, and a good textbook. It took me a while to break through and get some traction.