Chinese-Forums

Laowai isn't 'foreigner', it's 'Asian'.

AlexBlackman

When I lived in China no one ever made mention of my being a foreigner in a negative fashion, if they mentioned my eyes being green or my nose being big it was to compliment me--I guess people have got a lot ruder--probably true of most everywhere though. For xenophobia try France (Paris at least), when I visited my husband's cousin for a few weeks I didn't feel very welcome (I was welcomed by the cousin of course!) even though I speak French rather well and have a face that could just as well be French as anything else; while riding the subway I had a middle-aged matron insult me for being a foreigner even though I was just standing there holding a strap (they can tell by your clothes--you don't even have to open your mouth). I discovered if you need to ask directions it's better to approach someone who looks like he or she is from Martinique or Haiti, rather than someone with a Gallic physiognomy. (I had a very charming friend from Lyons who used to say the same thing about Parisians--I guess my problem is I haven't had the chance to visit the rest of France! Anyway we New Yorkers had a similar reputation for being arrogant [although not for being xenophobic] so who am I to cast aspersions?!)

yesterday the teacher was calling our names from a list. When he reached my name he couldn't read it because it was in english, so he said "laowai" and he laughed just like everyone else including me.

I don't know if it is the same with waigoren, that, i leave it to you.

I don't know why, but It felt good as for the first time someone called me like that, as always i hear the world waigoren around me :shrug:

Similar to renzhe, I prefer 小姐 or 女士. Older Beijing types can even call me 姑娘. And I prefer 外国人 over 老外, it sounds more neutral to me. I would probably be quite delighted if someone would use 西人 instead (although it's less precise: Australians are 南人 really and Americans might as well be called 东人).

I have on occasion used 红毛 jokingly, but if someone would use it seriously I would be a bit insulted.