Chinese-Forums

Are Taobao mobile phones for real?

studychinese

Check out these specs -

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=40484508055&ali_refid=a3_420841_1006:1109723136:6:%CA%D6%BB%FA:14dc7649371c62574d07927b6223d840&ali_trackid=1_14dc7649371c62574d07927b6223d840&spm=0.0.0.0.x85RJz

All this for about $100. The specs seem very good for that price. Is this for real? This isn't the only phone like this on Taobao either.

I bought a Samsung off Taobao - fake! Fortunately I hadn't confirmed receipt before I discovered it was fake, so I managed to get my money back. But I personally would not trust buying electronics off Taobao again.

Not Huawei, if not mistaken they say the cellphone has the same octacore cpu that the huawei honor 3c mounts.

Not an expert but I never heard of a 96 GB memory cellphone. It sounds indeed too good to be true... even cheaper than the legendary xiaomi hongmi.

Well, I'd totally buy it if I was in China. I mean, it's 600 rmb. if it's not good you can give it back. more than 30000 sold and 1000 comments. simple as that.

Go for it and let us know! :P

edit: well. it's written Huawei X6 under brand and model. my bad. but I still think it's no huawei : |

I'm not sure how you guard against things like this, but if you haven't seen them already, check out these 2 articles:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2104760/preinstalled-malware-turns-up-on-new-phones.html

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Android-phone-built-in-China-comes-equipped-with-malware_id57159

studychinese - I bought the exact phone when I was in China, for around RMB450. Then the price went down close to RMB300. For the phone I bought, some of the specs advertised were lies. For instance, the camera is supposed to be 13MP and it is not. I estimate the camera to be even less than 3MP! The flash isn't bright enough to be effective. The RAM is also nowhere close to being able to handle that of a supposedly 4GB RAM phone.

I haven't tested the 4G network though. So I don't know if that part was a lie too.

That said, do I regret buying the phone? No. I feel the seller shouldn't lie about the specs. But for the phone I bought, the storage is legit (so it plays music and movies perfectly and in high resolution). The phone's resolution is awesome. The advertised size is accurate. Wifi, bluetooth networks work perfectly. No issues downloading android apps (but you will have to find alternative apps for that because Google Play doesn't work).

My advice: Go for Huawei (the phone on your first link is NOT Huawei). A friend of mine bought a Huawei phone for 1500 and all the specs advertised was accurate. Her phone was even waterproof, and her camera's 13MP was a solid 13MP camera.

• Like 2

shuoshuo,

Thanks. Actually I already have a decent phone, a galaxy note 3, but it is a foreign version. It doesn't work on Chinese style 3G networks, and I haven't been able to get 4G to work even with China Unicom.

The reason why I am looking at these Chinese phones is that I want to use a company other than Unicom next time I go to China.