Chinese-Forums

What makes people sound different in mandarin?

pianodog

In old kung fu movies, people talk very funny but in real life chinese speakers sound a bit more natural. Do they exaggerate the dialogue in movies to be funny or something?  Some people talk mandarin very relaxed and some sound really quirky with their tonal inflections.  This video here I assume is mandarin, but it sounds SO different from the mandarin I've heard in chinese movies from the 70's. Newer chinese movies from the 2010's don't sound so harsh to me.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q29bgKoVLA4

Most old Kung Fu movies are originally in Cantonese, so unless you've been watching dubbed versions that's probably the main difference you're hearing. Of course, the genre kinda lends itself to exaggerated dialogue as well, so that could be a factor too.

If you're not sure which language a film is in, if it has an IMDB entry that'll most likely specify.

What makes people sound different in mandarin?

I don't know... What makes people sound different in English you think?

But yeah, just as anonymoose said, that's a Taiwanese accent. Certainly quite different from a Northern accent, indeed.