Chinese-Forums

I screwed myself OVER!

davidw89

Hi,

I'm currently working for Aston English school at an undisclosed location. Anyhow, I have come into China with a Z-visa, and I need to register for a residency permit within 30 days. It has been a week already, and they have not done so. I told them a few days ago that I will be leaving the company in 6 weeks, as the contract was for half a year, so they are obviously not happy, but I did give them the 6 weeks notice. Now I screwed my self over as they have no incentive to process my residency permit. If they don't process my residency permit, what can I do??!!!

What do I do now?

If the company don't proceed your residence permit, you have to leave China before the 30-day Z visa expires.

Since you told them you would leave the company in 6 weeks, I am afraid they would not like to help you get the residence permit. 

When you get within five days of the expiry date, go to the PSB and tell them that you have a contract, which you have been following and which requires you to stay in China for a further two weeks, but that your employer has not processed the residency permit. Ask them what you should do.

ack... tell them you meant to say 6 months, not 6 weeks. if they don't buy that, start acting really enthusiastic at work and ask if they can give you a 1 year contract and boast about all the other english teachers you know that you can bring to the school.

pretty sure you're screwed. good luck though.

Haha so you gave them six week notice..one week into the job.

Yeah, not great starting work for a company then leaving straight away. I am not so surprised they don't wont to process your residence permit for you. They have to pay to register you and get you the permit. What's the point if you're leaving?!

Can I ask what the problem is? Is there an issue with the company?

I'd say you will just have to leave before that Z finishes. They may not pay you anything either if you're still within the first month.

The residence permit is tied to the job. You can't legally get a job in a different company from the one that sponsored your residence permit. So if you're not going to work for them, there's no reason why they should sponsor your permit. Good bye.

• Like 1

Adding to what anonymoose said, there's not only no reason they should sponsor your permit, there's every reason not to sponsor it.

If you get caught working anywhere else or having done anything illegal, they are responsible for you and can be fined.

What I really want to know is why you're quitting a 6 month contract before you've even started? It makes very little sense to me without some more information.

• Like 1

As I understand the situation, it's actually the school that has a problem, no? I assume the OP has pressing reasons to leave his job almost before he started, so the most obvious solution is to leave before the 30 days are up. The school is entitled to 6 more weeks of teaching and only gets 2 or 3, so they have a problem now. They have every reason not to sponsor the OP's permit, but at the same time they can hardly expect their teacher to stay in the country illegally. I suppose the OP will be out of some salary, but that's about the extent of it.

Really, we have no idea what the situation is until the OP tells us. It could even be a "China problem" unrelated to the school. We've had some teachers who arrive having never been here and mostly hate it.

Wait and see if we get more info i guess!