Chinese-Forums

Help buying an erhu

mrironpalm

Hi,

Where can I buy an erhu? I've neither played nor held one before. I am thinking about buying one on ebay but I don't know if the ones there are being sold their are of good quality.

I play the mandolin and the guitar and I know that a quality instrument helps tremendously with the progress of a beginner. With that in mind, I'd rather spend a little more money getting a quality instrument.

Also, if you can please point me to some self-taught videos and manuals. It would be great if you can point me to a teacher.

I live in Fairfax, Va. I am willing to travel around the DC metro area.

I hope this is the right forum for me to ask this question.

Thanks.

There's a Chinese music instrument shop a few blocks from where I live in San Francisco that sells erhus, as well as other instruments, Chinese and Western. I'm taking piano lessons there. A clerk there tells me that the owner used to be a professional musician in China and carries only quality Chinese instruments. She said that their erhu's "drum" has a real leather covering, unlike some cheaper ones. It goes for something like $150, I think. Maybe a little less. Since you're considering buying from eBay, do you want me to ask them if they ship?

Or if you want, you can call them yourself:

Chinese Arts & Music Ctr

Address: 500 Balboa St, San Francisco, CA 94118

Phone: (415) 666-3001