Chinese-Forums

Can you identify this sound?

Yorin

Hi,

I've been watching the movie Beijing Bicycle today, and I've noticed that several times throughout the movie, a strange, eerie sound can be heard in the background for 15 to 30 seconds, e.g. around the 31 minute mark. You'll find a recording of the sound attached to this posting.

I'm convinced I've heard this sound in another Chinese movie before, possibly in Breaking the Silence, which as far as I remember is also supposed to take place in Beijing.

I'm really wondering what the source of that sound might be. I've been to Beijing for a week a few years ago and I didn't hear it. Though it's possible this sound is specific to Beijing in the 1990s or to a certain place in Beijing or something like that.

Can any of you identify it?

strange_sound.mp3

• Like 2

I've been watching the movie Beijing Bicycle today

Beijing Bicycle is a terrible movie and a great movie at the same time.  Terrible because it's such a bitter, bitter story.  Great because its not often for a movie to be so memorable that it provokes such a strong emotional response so many years after seeing it.

• 1 month later...