Chinese-Forums

Chinese/Hong Kong film review new website

danielvesey1990

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and I just wanted to advertise my new website which is dedicated to reviewing Asian film and literature. 

www.lookingtotheeast.com

The site is in its early stages but I am hoping to make it a success in the near future. As we are all studying Chinese, interested in Chinese culture and films I thought I would share this with you as we all have something in common. I have watched some amazing films coming out of China and Hong Kong and many of them are reviewed on my site. I have also read some very good books which give a wonderful insight into China. I think it really helps your Mandarin to watch films and I hope you will visit my site.

Please also feel free to like my Facebook page for Looking to the East

https://www.facebook.com/lookingtotheeastreviews 

Anyway would be much appreciated if you could like the site and I hope to read and comment on many posts on this forum in the future

Thanks

Dan 

• Like 1

Looks very nice. Glad to have this resource. Thanks for posting the information here. A couple questions if I may.

Are all the reviews done by yourself, or do you have a colleague or two who also contribute?

Do you watch the films in their original Chinese version, or do you watch them in translation?

And one constructive comment. I would find it useful if you included the Chinese name of these films to make them easier to find on line or in stores for those of us who live on the mainland.

Good idea to make a website like this. Hope it grows and prospers.

Hi, thanks for the reply and checking it out, please like the Facebook page if you get time.

At the moment I do all of the reviews myself, I had someone else on board but they haven't contributed for weeks so I am not even relying on them anymore. I do plan to recruit writers though, as it is too much to take on by myself, but at the moment I do not know how exactly to get them. If you know anyone who would like to write for me and review Chinese or Hong Kong films please don't hesitate to let me know :) I may post a topic here soon saying I am looking for film writers so perhaps that might help.

In terms of watching the films I watch them with subtitles. As for the Chinese ones I still use the subs, but I always try to understand as much of the Chinese as possible. I download my films, and I will continue to do that when I move to Zhuhai in just over a week to teach for a year and work for a newspaper in Guangzhou. I may even go to the cinema out there a few times and review some new films.

For the constructive criticism that is no worry, I will always welcome it. I think you are right and it is a good idea to also put in the Chinese name of the film, even if it is just in pinyin. I will look to do that from now on.

Cheers, Dan