Chinese-Forums

Has anyone here studied Chinese at Zhongshan Univ in Guangzhou before?

tao

Hi there, I just decided that I want to spend a year learning Chinese in China and my sister is working/living in Guangzhou right now so she recommended me to come to gz to study chinese, has anyone here studied chinese at Zhongshan univ before? if yes, how was it, do you recommend it? I spent a semester studying Chinese in Beijing in 2000, I really enjoyed it and want to go back to Beijing to study or to Shanghai as I also plan to look for jobs in China but the problem is that I have called up the schools and all said that dorm rooms w/ private bathrooms are all full for the fall semester therefore, it looks like it's a better choice to study at Zhongshan for now as I can stay at my sister place. I stayed in one of those public bathrooms one in 2000 and trust me, don't ever pick that one, you will regret it. That is another thing about going through school study abroad program, they gave us crappy rooms and charged us way more than applying directly.

I lived in guang zhou for the last 5 months and I really liked it. zhong shan uni is one of the prettiest universities that I have been to in China. Make sure you are at the main university campus instead of at new campus in the university city. I know most of the studying chinese programs are pretty standard wherever you go. I thought 清华 was crap and they are suposed to be number 1. The key will be the connections you make well you are there if you want to due business or more importantly for me, the weather and the campus. You also have to know that the level of 普通话 or as they call it 国语 is a lot less spoken in everyday life.

Yeah I went there for a semester (thanks for the reference syu.edu)... I loved it but I havent really been to any other Uni's in China or any cities outside of Guangdong so it's a little hard for me to compare...

The international dorms have rooms shared by 2 and single rooms as well. Rooms all have their own bathrooms.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for replying, I already sent my application via email, this school is very flexible, I called them up and they said I can send my application via email and pay the application fee when I arrive to register for class.