Chinese-Forums

How do I stay in China for six months?

inwestend

Next year, I'd like to base myself in China for six months or so.  I don't want to work in China.  I don't think a tourist L-Visa is a good option.  As far as I know, the maximum is 60 days - but 30 is more usual.

So, I'm looking for information about other longer-term visas and loop-holes.

1. What is the longest I can stay in China on a tourist visa?  I believe a visa can only be extended once?  Are back-to-back tourist visas ok?  As I said, I don't want to work in China - but what do illegal teachers do nowadays?  What's their loop-hole?

2. Is there any way to invest in China to get a Visa?  For example, Taiwan has a scheme to invest a million TWD (20K pounds).  And they let you live in Taiwan.  Does China have a similar scheme?  I actually already have investments in China as part of some portfolio.

3. "F" or "M" Visas?  Previously, I would have got an "F"-Visa, but they're supposed to be as rare as unicorn's teeth now.  Is this an option?  (Did I read somewhere that it was still possible if you spent 15 days in Hong-Kong?)

4. I've heard about R-Visas.  If I have a special skill, would I be allowed in WITHOUT a job offer?  (For example, Australia has a skill-based visa, where you can move to Australia, and find a job once you're there).

5. Probably the easiest way, but my last resort, is to get a part time job with as few hours as possible, or student visa on a cheap course (where attendance is optional).  Ideally, I'd rather not go for a loop-hole that eats up my time.  What is the minimum number of hours I could work to get a visa?  What is the minimum course attendance hours?

6. Any other visas or loop-holes?  

I'm in Asia, and I'd rather not have to fly back to the UK, just to sort out a visa.

1. What is the longest I can stay in China on a tourist visa?  I believe a visa can only be extended once?  Are back-to-back tourist visas ok?  As I said, I don't want to work in China - but what do illegal teachers do nowadays?  What's their loop-hole?

If you are holding tourist visa entered china. Maximum you can extend your china visa couple time and total duration is 1 year. Visa can extend only once is depend on the city you stayed. Such like Shanghai or Beijing. Usually only allow you extend one time. For illegal teachers doing nowadays is carry F or M visa or get agent to help apply working permit for them.

2. Is there any way to invest in China to get a Visa?  For example, Taiwan has a scheme to invest a million TWD (20K pounds).  And they let you live in Taiwan.  Does China have a similar scheme?  I actually already have investments in China as part of some portfolio.

Yes. You can invest and setup a company in China. Different state different pay up capital. You have to check with local PSB.

3. "F" or "M" Visas?  Previously, I would have got an "F"-Visa, but they're supposed to be as rare as unicorn's teeth now.  Is this an option?  (Did I read somewhere that it was still possible if you spent 15 days in Hong-Kong?)

F or M type visa what current foreigner can apply up to 6 months in mainland. Is depend on nationality to apply this type of visa in mainland or out of china.

4. I've heard about R-Visas.  If I have a special skill, would I be allowed in WITHOUT a job offer?  (For example, Australia has a skill-based visa, where you can move to Australia, and find a job once you're there).

Yes. But usually is very professional skill. For further information can get from your local PSB.

5. Probably the easiest way, but my last resort, is to get a part time job with as few hours as possible, or student visa on a cheap course (where attendance is optional).  Ideally, I'd rather not go for a loop-hole that eats up my time.  What is the minimum number of hours I could work to get a visa?  What is the minimum course attendance hours?

As what we know at the moment they don't have those thing works for how many hours to get your work visa. As long as you have employer intend to employ you. You just go through the procedure what the PSB request.

6. Any other visas or loop-holes?

Yes. Still have loop-hole. Otherwise those visa agent won't survive. :)

Thank you Vince.  I'm surprised by your answers.  I thought a lot of those doors had been closed since last year's big visa clamp-down.  I thought the days of "F" visas were over.  Have the rules been relaxed since last summer?  This information IS current? - isn't it?

Out of all the options you listed - provided that things really are more relaxed now - "M" and "F" visas seem the easiest.

I've no desire to set up another company.  It's too much time and effort for something that is just a pretence to get a visa.  It's a pity that the investment can only be your own company.  Not unit trusts.

R-Visa might still be an option.  But do I need a job offer or contract?  Or is it like a skills visa?

So, where is the best place to sort this out in Asia?  Hong Kong?  Would I be better doing this in Australia?  (I might fly there anyway this winter to do some camping).  As I said, I don't want to fly to my home country, England, during winter time, just to sort out a visa.

Does anyone else have more information?

Yes. This is the latest information I have at the moment. Like you are from UK. You have several options can choose.

1. F visa but maximum only 6 months zero entry. You able apply in certain province. Condition is your last entered stamp chop must be latest these six month you entered China.

2. X2 visa you can apply in HongKong. Maximum also 6 months and 1 entry.

3. M type visa you can apply in Malaysia. 1 Year visa and 180 days stay each entered China. Condition is you must have 2 entered record at least in your passport.

Recently China visa policy never "Relaxed". The agent only run into the grey area to get you the visa in legaly way.

For R type at least you must have university or association to admit your qualifications. Usually just forget via this way. Is too hard for foreigner to apply. Hope this info will help.

Thank you.

There's quite a bit of visa related info here on the site. I want to come to China to take private Mandarin lessons, so a student visa isn't an option. So, one time I started reading through all the visa related posts...but it can take some time. Plus, like you mentioned, they have changed the guidelines fairly recently, so of course older threads may not be applicable. Either way, good luck.

There's quite a bit of visa related info here on the site. I want to come to China to take private Mandarin lessons, so a student visa isn't an option. So, one time I started reading through all the visa related posts...but it can take some time. Plus, like you mentioned, they have changed the guidelines fairly recently, so of course older threads may not be applicable. Either way, good luck.

For the student's visa it can be splited to two part. X1 and X2. Defination of the

X1-Issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of more than 180 days

X2-Issued to those who intend to study in China for a period of no more than 180 days.

If you said you wanna study mandarin lesson. Usually you gotta look for the China's universities to issue you the invitation letter. Then you only able apply in your home country. Otherwise like those just enroll in private school. You are eligible to apply X2 out of China.

If you have $1,000,000 USD I believe you can get a visa VERY easily just by talking to the PSB, you might need some documentation though.

Since for most of us that's not very realistic...

I'd recommend going the student path.

Hong King is a horrible choice for visas these days. You might be able to get a 1 month visa if you've had no Chinese tourist visas in the last 12 months, but I wouldn't take my chances. You could try calling the Chinese Embassy in Australia and telling them you're British, touring in Australia and want to know what type of tourist visa you can get for China. Since you're not an Australian resident (I assume) it may be more difficult, then again it might be easy.

Some schools can provide private 1 on 1 lessons, what city do you want to be in?

I'm planning to go to Harbin and study with 1to1 Mandarin Workshop, once my business is profitable. Just wish a student visa was an option. Not sure what process private schools have to go through in order to be able to hook you up with a student visa, but they're unable to...last I checked.

I don't know about 1to1 Mandarin Workshop, I know Bincai is rather flexible http://www.bincai.org/english/

I know they can provide visas for their students.

You mention your business being profitable? I assume that's not a business in China? Or...

I really don't recommend working on a student visa.

@Matty, Alas, I'm not in THAT tax bracket :).  I could muster a few million RMB, but not dollars - and I wouldn't want to shift too much to China.

No - I have no business in China.  And not interested in forming one - unless it was the best visa loop-hole.  But I think it's too much trouble.

@Vincetan...  You've got some interesting leads.  And if I could get an "M" or "F" visa - that would be great.  Malaysia is a convenient consulate for me.  Actually, I'm in KL right now, going out for a Bak Kut Teh tonight.  But I've never liked getting an "L" visa here - as they make you come back and take an INTERVIEW!

The only Chinese stamps in my passport are "L" visa stamps.  Last year (2 months), and the year before (1 month).  I'm planning to visit Chengdu next month.  Going to get my "L" Visa in Chiang Mai.

Ok - student visas are an option, and I'm looking into courses in Chengdu.  But does anyone have any more leads for "F" or "M" visas for six months.  What do I need to do to get one?

• 2 weeks later...

@Vincetan...  You've got some interesting leads.  And if I could get an "M" or "F" visa - that would be great.  Malaysia is a convenient consulate for me.  Actually, I'm in KL right now, going out for a Bak Kut Teh tonight.  But I've never liked getting an "L" visa here - as they make you come back and take an INTERVIEW!

Sorry ! I have a week didn't login this website. Anyway, you can contact me via my phone number. Let me check your nationality , visa type and stamp chop in your passport. Then I can recommend you which is the best way to solve your M or F visa type. Thank you.

Vince, let's have your company's name and address. And generally I'd recommend people are wary of visa agents they find on random websites, even this random website. 

If you have investments and you can get those partners to write you invitation letters, a business visa may yet be an option. Not sure how long you'd get though.