Chinese-Forums

The Missing Gun / 寻枪 - Jiang Wen

roddy

Anyone else seen the Missing Gun?

I really liked it, Jiang Wen is rapidly becoming my favourite Chinese actor (considering I don't have a current favourite Chinese actor, it's not that difficult) and the films well-scripted and shot.

Basic plot is, small town policeman Ma something or other (it's been a couple of weeks since I saw it) wakes up after a wedding party to discover his gun is missing. He frantically runs around interrogating various small-town eccentrics trying to find it, with no luck until a couple of the bullets turn up in his ex-girlfriend.

I couldn't decide if the directing was imaginative and inventive or just a bit heavy-handed. I stayed interested right to the end though, which is fairly rare . . .

There are pretty heavy accents right the way through - I needed the subtitles.

Roddy

"Try searching on Google, then looking on Amazon, eBaY, HKFlix, Yesasia, Sensasian, Poker Industries, Blue Laser, Deep Discount DVD, et. al and tell me if you find it."

http://www.8spaces.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=41{1}2

Quite easy to find, don't you think? But the only problem may be of language. This website is totally made of Chinese language. Good luck.

Quite easy to find, don't you think? But the only problem may be of language. This website is totally made of Chinese language. Good luck.

Indeed, it might be just one of language...or of authenticity because if no one else stocks this title, A) the rights are owned by someone who doesn't want it to be sold for home use, or B) "8 Spaces.com" is selling a pirated version.

Thanks for the tip.

• 1 year later...

Hello, Just watched my VCD vesrsion of this wonderful film and went, once again, to see if another release on DVD has been made availible, and stumble upon this message board. Well no luck, I guess I'll write Criterion here in the states and implore that they research the rights to this film and secure for a release! In the meantime anyone interested in a commerical copy released by Mei Ah can order at the link below. The print is watchable, the white subtitles are Cantonese and English that sometimes gets lost in the "shimmer of the sun", but still this is all I've ever found with english subtitles attached! The price is high due to it being a VCD, but this on-line store surley knows of it's scarce availability.

Yangguang Canlan de Rizi VCD

• 2 years later...
I felt bad for the main character.

Sometimes, life for many of us is like the main character. He tried so hard to search for his missing gun (which implies the proper for our own life) so nervously and hopeless, that his soul couldn’t get any rest until the day he was shot by his own missing gun. At least, at the end, his soul was released. To this extend, I feel both sad and glad for the main character.

Cheers!

______________________________-

啊,忽然就想起当年看的日本动画片《战区88》(又名《沙漠银鹰》)。该片中的男主角“风间真”最讨厌就是杀人,可他偏偏就阴差阳错地成了别人的杀人机器。最后,他把自己的战机突然加速,升到2万米的高空,让自己突然缺氧窒息,昏迷过去,从2万米高空与自己的战机一起坠向地狱的深渊——让自己的心灵最终得到解放!但愿我没记错吧,片末最后一句好像就是男主角的心声:“终于都解放了——!”