Chinese-Forums

HSK computer based exam has no value

Aphorisme

@ZhangKaiRong, I wish I could disagree. It's rather unfortunate that so many businesses are so poorly run. Professional qualifications can be useful, but I've just had too many experiences with HR workers that use certifications as a crutch to avoid doing their job. It's easy to make a checklist of certifications that somebody has, but much harder to assess whether or not they're actually bringing any value to the company.

• 2 weeks later...

For me the HSK test is more of a reality check as to where I am. I'd feel like a bit of a twit bragging about it, as you're (perceived level) can be tested instantly by anyone.

What you said might be true, I never tried to get a job in Beijing when I was in China. But I also doubt that after gaining some years of valuable financial consulting experience I would have to balls to first resign at my current workplace, go to China and trust my luck for getting a suitable professional job and not getting tremendous boring English teaching offers. It's like science fiction for me, and it might be the case with most 老外 professionals seeking to get a job in China. There is a high risk that you could end up with a less sexy salary package, or get hired for a job which is not the one you were actually looking for. And don't forget the power of guanxi, which you obviously don't have at that time. Getting headhunted from China on the web (linkedin) is also highly unlikely if you are currently not working in London, New York, Melbourne, or any other big financial centres of the world.

This is why I insist on my original statement that getting a job for a foreigner who is not located in China is unrelated to his Chinese proficiency. Obviously, after getting the chance to go to China, your actual language skills can be invaluable, however, it is not a requirement in most relevant companies operating in China. 

To be honest, in my different professional careers language has never been a major issue unless working in sales and then you need almost native level. The half way house is of no use. Infact no company I have ever worked for (all top tier multinationals) would rarely take a non native into the sales role, despite the highly hypocritical UNICEF multicultural type advertising (I have been on working in front office jobs on trading floors for many years and only, with very minor exceptions, Asians / blacks you see in European trading floors, are emptying bins - totally wrong!!). People just like dealing with their own race / culture. I have no experience of mainland china but do have with Singapore, Japan and HK, The ability to speak the local language has never come up. In fact team heads of overseas offices from US / EU multi-national  have always come from US / EU 

Similarly with qualifications. Any time I, or others interviewed someone, the qualification achieved is just used as a invite to the interview. Its the work experience, your knowledge of the job, previous companies, and if they actually like you!  are the ultimate deciders.

However as I say,. I don't know anything about mainland china