Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China

• Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
yixiazi

Learning Characters - Methods

yixiazi

I am wondering what people who have gained experence see as the best methods fro acquisition of character vocabulary. I have been frustrated by the prospect of wanting to get into a book and start reading, yet the task of looking up the characters and finding the pronunciation, and meaning is difficult.

I wonder if people like to start out with basic reader books, or if anyone has any methods to help gain skills in looking up characters? I have found some links to software that will pronounce the characters, as you read, and "makes dictionaries unnecessary". Luddite that I am, I like the idea of getting over the hurdle that it might take to learn to use a Chinese dictionary, and be empowered to look up any word at my pace, instead of being on a guided software tour of the language. I want to be able to live, and experience the language as dynamically as possible.

I have come to believe that basic reader texts are one of the best methods (other than total immersion), of getting into a language. I just would like the freedom of knowing how to maximize my use of a dictionary.

Hey, any recommendations of the best quality dictionaries would be far-out, groovy, and totally, da bomb too.

:)

Xièxie,

-Brian

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

roddy

We had at least one similar discussion over a year ago, and i suspect there are others.

amory hill

there are some very good chinese dictionaries online. all you need to do is, try & find chinese reading matter online. then you highlight any character you want to lookup, cut & paste to dictionary, bingo! then return to text, one character the wiser.

I don't however see how you would be able to do that with printed material.

Harpoon

personally I find that my visual memory is better than my hearing memory (I can learn stroke-combinations in making characters better than I can recall sounds and tones which leave my head so fast its not even funny :wall:wink: ) but I'm finding it hard to pick characters i should know. A lot of the characters are ambigious by themselves, with several completely different meanings. Some are completely clear cut with one meaning (like 小, etc..) but others are useless without a larger understanding of the language and context.

I would be interested in knowing what 100 characters you chose to learn?