Chinese-Forums

Descriptive Phrases and Extent Phrases

nipponman

Ok,

Descriptive phrases and extends phrases apart I can deal with, it is when they are together that I have trouble. E.g.

昨天我說話說得快。 I spoke very fast yesterday. 

昨天我吃飽得我現在還飽了。 I ate so much yesterday that I am still full!

But what about when you want to combine descriptive and extent phrases? I don't know how to do this yet so this is just a guess. Take the sentence: "Yesterday I spoke so fast that I can't speak today." Both types of phrases are in this sentence. Here's my try: "昨天我說話說得快得我今天不能說話." or maybe"昨天我快地說話得我今天不能說話。"

Neither of these sentences seem right to me however, so I want your guys opinion. Any help would be apprieciated.

Nipponman

Last edited by nipponman at 11:19 AM. Reason : 作 instead of 昨

My guess would be:

因为我昨天说了的这么会, 我今天不能说。

It's probably wrong since I've only began my studies recently, so if anybody corrects it please add a pinyin version since I didn't concentrate on figuring out how to look up a word yet.

Well, your the first response...:clap .

But why does no one else respond?:conf

Unfortunately, your answer takes away from the original intent of the question. Which is how to incorporate both types of phrases into chinese. Both descriptive and extent phrases need to be in there. I know it is possible to do it, but I don't know how. Anyone?

P.s. your translation doesn't make sense to me, maybe because I am too a learner...

I am incapable of explaining Chinese grammar, but I would say these in Chinese -

I ate so much yesterday that I am still full - 我昨天吃得太多/飽了,多/飽得(or 弄得)我現在還是很飽。

Yesterday I spoke so fast that I can't speak today (but why???) - 昨天我說話說得太快了,快/累得(or 弄得)我今天都不能說話。

And these can also be expressed using 因為 ... 所以 ..., like

因為我昨天吃得太多了,所以我現在還是很飽。

因為昨天我說話說得太快了,所以我今天都不能說話了。

And people don't reply for a reason (but perhaps it was only me).

I am incapable of explaining Chinese grammar, but I would say these in Chinese -

I ate so much yesterday that I am still full - 我昨天吃得太多/飽了,多/飽得(or 弄得)我現在還是很飽。

Yesterday I spoke so fast that I can't speak today (but why???) - 昨天我說話說得太快了,快/累得(or 弄得)我今天都不能說話。

Thank yous skylee, these make sense.

And people don't reply for a reason (but perhaps it was only me).

Yeah, that's the scary part, I don't know the reason, if there is one I'd like to know so I can correct whatever it is that makes them not respond. If people have a problem with me I think

it would be nice if I knew about...ah, oh well

nipponman