Chinese-Forums

Where to buy furniture and house stuffs in Harbin?

sujeto

海城街 has a lot of options, including many DIY. 黑天鹅 will have a lot of electronic appliances for good prices. Many include free delivery.

You're in the market for a lot of big-ticket items, so make sure you shop around before committing.

Also, ensure you get a quote on delivery and assembly with the furniture/appliance price. Be sure to let them know what floor you live on.

Many bigger supermarkets, such as Wal-Mart, Carrefour, and RT-Mart include free delivery as well. For a TV you'll have the option of mounting or a TV stand. 

Lastly, take measurements for your washing machine and ensure your bathroom is equipped with the appropriate plumbing (e.g. water valve, floor drain, etc.).

• Like 2

I second that, just find a furnished apartment!

I've never seen an unfunished one in Beijing. My first apartment was sparsely furnished but we still had beds, sofas, a TV, water cooler, a few shelves and cupboards. We just supplemented that with a few things ... like mirrors!

Sujeto, good to hear you got settled alright and things are well for you there!

Google tells me Harbin has an Ikea, that's a useful one-stop shop for things like closets and beds. Although I agree with others that you might want to ask your landlord to buy at least the basic big furniture (including a washing machine). When you eventually leave, they can continue to rent out a furnished apartment for a better price.

I don't know - if you're sure you'll be in the one place for two to three years, and you get cheaper rent for an unfurnished place, it might be worth getting stuff you like, rather than whatever the landlord has and doesn't want in his own house. A 500Y discount on rent over three years is Y18,000, that's a fair whack of furniture, and you can get something back selling it when you leave. Picked that number out of a hat though...

IKEA, plus it's very likely that there'll be big Chinese stores next door - they tend to cluster. 

• Like 1

Buying furniture really ties you down, limits your options. I would sure think twice about it, if not three times. You may find you want to move next year, and lugging furniture around isn't easy.