Chinese-Forums

6 Months Intensive Chinese Program Recommendation

scoot123

Hi folks,

since I'm new over here a few words about my plans: I just finished my studies (Business Informatics) and plan to develop my Chinese language skills from beginning of January to July next year full-time. I'm still a beginner, but with 2 months I can reach HSK3, I guess. I want speaking and reading, NO character writing. Modern vocabulary, best business and IT-oriented. As intensive as possible.

I found this course of UIBE interesting, but begins only at the end of february with the semester: Intensive Chinese Language Training Program

Interesting, because it's a bit more intense then the offered Business Chinese.

• Any reviews/opinions on that course?
  • Alternatives (at other universitites)?

Furthermore UIBE offers short term programs from 4-6 weeks which could be interesting for January and February.

• Here any opinions alternatives?

Last issue: Visa. I have to leave China soon and plan to be back before New Years Eve.

• Any chance, that my visa gets extended at the end of February (switch to course at University) without the need to leave the mainland? Any experience/recommendation on this issue?

Thanks a lot in advance - nice that I found this forum :)

best,

scoot

Any University course you attend will have more of a focus on reading and writing. This is partly because that's how Chinese education is generally and partly due to practical considerations. The class sizes are usually from 8-18 so it's hard to get a lot of talking time in. Of course, the speaking class is all about speaking but really, you end up doing a lot of listening.

From what you've said about no writing (disagree with this stance by the way), you would really have no choice but to go to a private school. Any University program will get you writing short assignments by hand, doing dictation tests and all their exams will involve some writing by hand.

Additionally, assuming you achieve HSK 3 by the time you arrive, this level is still probably too low to get onto business Chinese electives at University language courses. At least at Tsinghia, you had to be in at least intermediate class (Working towards HSK 5) before you could sign up. Again, this points to a private school where you can dictate what you study. You can at least include some basic business vocabulary.

If I were you though, I'd just focus on improving your general level before looking at anything focused on business.

• Like 1

completely agree. I did CET intensive in Beijing and it is plenty intensive, but they focus very heavily on writing. In fact, relative to the amount we read, which wasn't actually that much, the writing was very excessive. Also, a warning if you are an extravert and like to go out a lot: intensive is not for you. I had an opportunity to take a mixed load of Chinese and english based classes at Qinghua and chose CET instead. Biggest regret ever. I could have learned a lot of Chinese and had a lot more fun. At CET, if you wanted A's and to be on top of things, you had to study way too much for my liking. It was my first time abroad, and once I discovered how amazing China was, the last thing I wanted to do was be stuck in the dorm studying all day.