Chinese-Forums

how many entries / exits allowed for a Student Visa (X1) in China with Residence Permit?

tooironic

I'm currently studying at Xiamen University on a Student Visa (X1). My course is a three-year Master's course.

I would like to fly back to Australia during the winter vacation Jan-Feb, so I'd like to know how many entries/exits are allowed for my visa. My original X1 Visa (which has since been crossed out) states I am only allowed 1 entry into China. My Residence Permit (居留许可) does not tell me how many times I can exit China and come back, so I'm confused. Will I have to apply for another Visa (with multiple entries?) before I leave for Australia next month? Or is a Residence Permit enough in that it already grants multiple entries? Hoping someone can clear this up for me. Thanks.

So what you're saying is that a Residence Permit - of any category - gives you unlimited entries and exits? Surprised they didn't mention that before. I thought I would have to apply for an extension of some sort.

Yes, residence permits let you wander in and out at will. Have done ever since they stopped issuing separate books containing resident permits and stuck them in your passport instead. 10 years ago.

I've even left the mainland, gone to Hong Kong in the morning, returned to mainland at noon, gone back to HK after lunch and returned in the evening.

http://liuzhou.co.uk/wordpress/2005/03/26/residential-devastation/

As the other has highlighted already, your original visa and your residence permit are unrelated in terms of number of entries. A lot of foreign students go on holiday to Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia during 寒假, and it is no problem since you can come and go as you wish until your residence permit expires.

• Like 1

I paid 400元 to extend my residence permit this year. You can see in liuzhou's post that the price is 800 元. I guess it depends on what is the purpose of your stay, my residence permit is for the purpose of studying. You will probably need to pay 400 each year. You won't need a new entry visa in the next three years. 

I paid 400元 to extend my residence permit this year. You can see in liuzhou's post that the price is 800 元. I guess it depends on what is the purpose of your stay, my residence permit is for the purpose of studying. You will probably need to pay 400 each year.

In fact, the Residence Permit fee, like visa fees, varies according to the applicant's country of origin, rather than purpose of stay. A few years ago, a colleague and I renewed ours on the same day. Hers (Spanish passport) cost half what mine (UK passport) did.

Interesting. My program lasts two years, but my first residence permit was valid only until September 2014. If yours is valid until 2017, there is no need to extend it. 

Thanks liuzhou.