Chinese-Forums

Anki deck: 小城之春 (Spring in a Small Town) - Full Chinese movie

Matthias

• 3 years later...

Yes, it was deleted when Damien Elmes (who runs Anki) found that almost all shared decks about 250 MB were created from copyrighted movies using subs2srs, and therefore announced to delete all shared decks above this size. I believe it is still forbidden to share decks larger than 250 MB. It seems I also don't have a backup, but if you really want to have the deck, I could recreate it from data from my homepage.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey @ztanga, thanks for your patience. Indeed I didn't find time during my vacation, and in a week from now I'll be going to China for four weeks on a job assignment. I'm afraid you'll have to wait some more. I definitely want to do it, but it will take some time for me to find all the scripts and put everything together. I want to recreate these decks because to answer your question, @Flickserve, I found it indeed very helpful. I used the subtitles in the following way: at first when I couldn't read I had the Chinese characters displayed and the video clip play. Then I would quiz myself to repeat the correct pinyin. Later, I would only show the characters on the front side without playing the video clip, but quiz me to correctly pronounce the sentence. In retrospect it seems strange to me that I acquired a lot of vocabulary that way, but it was very effective. Also, it was extremely helpful for my listening ability and pronunciation. I did this for the following movies (if I remember every one, approximately in that order):

- Havoc in heaven

- Farewell my concubine

- Yellow earth

- Lust, caution

- Raise the red lantern

- Crouching tiger, hidden dragon

- and some more I forgot

It was one of the most satisfying moments in my learning to finish a movie, watch it, and understand every sentence. Additionally, the content in the Anki cards was very engaging. Reviewing felt like playing a game rather than a chore. But yes, my deck was very large at that time. Nowadays, as I am learning the HSK6 vocabulary, the movies are not enough to have an example sentence for every word to learn, so I just learn the words individually. I think I should go back to the sentence level, but I didn't find a good way yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matthias said:

It was one of the most satisfying moments in my learning to finish a movie, watch it, and understand every sentence.

Thanks for that. Did you have the translation on the card as well?

If the film had no translation, did you work out your own translation and then add it to the note? 

I find it interesting because I have also used subs2srs a lot.

• 2 weeks later...