Chinese-Forums

Jackie Chan vs DPP

Ian_Lee

In Cannes, "Taiwan's son-in-law" Jackie Chan was in a brawl with DPP guys. Jackie swore not to visit Taiwan until 4 years afterwards while DPP guys retaliated by not inviting him to attend "The Night of Taiwan".

Though Jackie has a big mouth, DPP guys seemed to be quite narrow-minded starting last year from their boycott advocacy on Jackie's movie after his comment on the two stray bullets.

IMO this incident is only a reflection on the increasing friction between DPP and the overseas Chinese community.

What do you think?

Given the name of the DPP, "Democratic Progressive Party", I find it amusing when the DPP recommended banning Jackie Chan's movies as punishment for him calling last year's election the biggest joke in the world.

Looks like DPP is still holding a grudge against Chan one year later. Isn't the DPP supposed to tolerate freedom of speech? DPP seems to act like CCP in this regard.

Here are the details.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2004/04/23/2003137723

" Jackie Chan's (成龍) next movie should be banned in Taiwan because of his remarks about last month's presidential election, a senior Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) figure said yesterday.

During a news conference in Shanghai last month, the action star called Taiwan's disputed election "the biggest joke in the world." It was unclear which aspects of the election Chan was criticizing.

Parris Chang (張旭成), a senior member of the ruling DPP, said yesterday that Taiwan should punish the Hong Kong movie star for his comments.

"We want to propose a motion at the legislature to ask the government to ban showings of Jackie Chan's new movie," Chang said.

The action star's latest Hollywood film, Around the World in 80 Days, is set to open here in June.

Chang also said the actor should be barred from Taiwan and suggested Taiwanese people should consider retaliating by not traveling to Hong Kong.

While sharing Chang's concerns, some of the lawmaker's colleagues were less than enthusiastic about taking action against the popular star.

"We do not agree with all statements by individual party members, but we can respect their freedom of speech," DPP caucus whip Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯) said.

Chan, who is married to a Taiwanese actress, is a frequent visitor to Taiwan, where he has appeared in commercials for humanitarian causes."

This reminds me of VP Annette Lu picking on A-mei a while back. I would have thought DPP politicians had more important things to do than play tit for tat with actors and singers.

While I don't think Jackie Chan's comments were exactly, er, nice, trying to ban his film because he said something they didn't like is downright petty. It also shows a lack of understanding of values like freedom of speech, which the DPP is supposed to support.

While I don't think Jackie Chan's comments were exactly, er, nice, trying to ban his film because he said something they didn't like is downright petty. It also shows a lack of understanding of values like freedom of speech, which the DPP is supposed to support.

Too true, unfortunately. The DPP has lost touch with its roots. I really hope the KMT can reform itself and regain power at the next presidential election. Not because I like the KMT at all, but because the DPP needs some time in opposition so it can work out what it really stands for. A-bian's continual flip-flopping on the visits of Soong and Lien to China was evidence of a deeper malaise in the party.

Too true, unfortunately. The DPP has lost touch with its roots.

Unless the story posted here is wrong it looks like a single member had a dumd idea and the caucus whip diplomatically shot it down. It doesn't look like reinforcement for your out-of-touch theory.

• 1 year later...

Two years ago, Jackie Chan called Taiwan's election the biggest joke in the world. Yesterday night he called Taiwan's government the biggest joke in the universe.

http://udn.com/NEWS/ENTERTAINMENT/ENT8/3525889.shtml

影星成龍繼兩年前批評台灣總統大選的兩顆子彈是「天大的笑話」,前晚又批台灣政局是「宇宙的笑話」,再度引發爭議。

成龍兩年前批評台灣總統大選是「天大的笑話」,引起軒然大波,有憤怒的民眾發動抵制他的電影,從此他不曾再來台灣,去年金馬獎頒獎典禮時,一度傳出他願意自費來台參與盛會,但終未成行。

前晚在新片「寶貝計劃」香港首映典禮上,成龍被媒體問到對最近台灣政局的看法時,他說:「兩年前我講『天大的笑話』,兩年後今天已經是國際的笑話,不,是宇宙的笑話,反正很丟臉,我氣得睡不著覺,也覺得兩邊都很可憐,最可憐的是警察,當局應該想辦法解決,因為幾百萬人,不能再為一兩個人搞成這個樣子....

I bet Jackie Chan won't dare step foot on Taiwan for a long time, at least not during the current administration. However I think many Taiwanese wón't be too happy with his remarks for a very long time.

At least he expressed sympathy for Taiwan's police who had to deal with the peaceful protests in Taipei, as well as the recent ugly demonstrations in Tainan and Kaohsiung.

Last year Chan said that more Chinese women should marry non-Chinese men to spread Chinese culture.