Chinese-Forums

Getting a phone fixed in China (Nanjing)

Huina

I dropped my Samsung Galaxy s3 and smashed up the screen nicely. Thankfully it's just the glass. But I still need to get it repaired! Does anyone know how I should ask for a screen repair? I need to know the proper words for "touch screen", "screen protector", and maybe other related words. 

Most importantly: where do I go, and what should I look for as a fair price? Are there certain chains that are good for this sort of thing? I asked around here a little bit and one person told me that small shops will do it, but try to charge me a high price. It's such a comparatively old model too...I know that in the US screen repair can be pretty pricey, and I guess if it's more than $100 USD I'll just get a new phone. The Xiaomi 4 looks so nice...

This is pretty easy to do in China.  I've broken my iPhone screen multiple times here in China and I will summarize:

First time I broke it:

Went a shop that sold phones and also did phone repair.  They will have the option (at least with iPhone) of replacing it with an original glass or the knock off.  The first time I did this I went with an original glass and paid around 400 RMB.

Second time:

I went to a different shop and had them repair my iPhone (5s) with a knock off glass, not the original for 150 RMB.  

Both worked fine.  Not sure if the first one was really the original or not.

Key words:

换屏幕 - replace the screen

原厂的屏幕 - original (ex. iPhone original) screen

Just look for a phone market or walk into most any phone store that has ads with the following character - 修

• Like 1

Learning the vocab and then using them in a situation like this is a great way to get real world Chinese practice, too bad about the phone though!

If you forget the important words don't worry too much, I bet if you show them the busted screen and look sad they will know exactly what you want, ha!

The screen protector is something with mo4, I think?

• Like 1

ouyangjun omg thanks! This will really help.

mouseneb yeah,  if I'm here I better learn to do things myself! I keep trying to practice by going out and talking to people and stuff. People are really nice here so my speaking/listening has improved a lot :) 

Screen protector is 手机保护膜, or more commonly just 手机膜. It's mó (not mò), 薄膜的膜. (Edit: 膜 is sometimes pronounced as mò in Taiwan, but it is not Standard Mandarin AFAIK.)

• Like 1