Chinese-Forums

Passport

HKGSARCN

What is so good/ special about PRC passports? 

Special about the PRC passport is that they're almost as worthless as a Somali passport. It offers (virtually) no free travelling as most countries request a visa for Chinese to be allowed in. Even within PRC it allows no free travel (Macao and Hong Kong).

I've no clue about travel restrictions for Hong Kong residents to mainland China so maybe there is an explanation. Of course it may also be that the passport has a sentimental or collectors value for some people. E.g. In Somalia many tourists seem to buy a Somali passport as a souvenir.

I don't think you can get PRC passport if you have other passports. PRC don't accept dual citizenship. If you want to get PRC passport, you need to give up your other nationality, but PRC right now do not have comprehensive laws for immigrants so even if you give up your own nationality, it is still very difficult to become Chinese citizen. 

Why do you want to have PRC passport. As a Chinese, I think our passport is useless, although right now we can go to some small island countries without visa or landing visa. The only good thing about PRC passport is that you do not need visa to enter PRC. You already have HK ID card, so you can enter mainland China freely.

Based on the information on the internet -

1. One must have a Mainland Hukou to be eligible for a Mainland Chinese passport.

2. China does not accept dual-nationality (note - although the nationality of a HKSAR passport holder is also Chinese, it is treated differently as HK is an SAR and there is a border between HK and Mainland China → one country, two systems).

3. Because of 1 and 2, a HK permanent resident of Chinese nationality would have to give up the HK permanent resident status to be eligible for a Chinese Hukou and/ or a Mainland Chinese passport.

4. Once granted, there is currently no way to give up the HK permanent resident status (see the link I provided at #3 above).

5. Because of 4, a HK permanent resident of Chinese nationality cannot apply for a Mainland Chinese passport.

I hope the above is correct.

• Like 1