Chinese-Forums

E-INK device who can run Anki?

yedafu

I don't think there are, the only thing I can think of is taking a Nook and rooting it. Unless it's changed recently, those all used to run Android behind the scenes and people have installed android apps on them. It's kind of a risky procedure though, and I'm not sure if Anki would even run like that.

You might also consider getting a first gen Nook which still had the browser support.

I've had it running on a rooted Sony. I think it was a T1 (maybe T2) with anki 1. Battery life of the rooted device was however poor.

I think pretty much every genuine android e-ink should be able to run anki. The problem with most e-readers is they run an adapted version of android so you can't install apps unless you root it. As far as I know this virtually always impacts battery life.

I've the impression there are some developments in regard to a open android e-ink devices. you might google for e-ink android tablet/phone, but compared to a simple e-reader these devices tend to be a bit more expensive. 

Personally I'm looking at http://www.meetearl.com/ that seems to have a few features that I would love while traveling but with delay after delay I hesitate to pre-order.

Unfortunately, haven't tried the t68 myself, and the amazon.com reviews seem to indicate it's not quite ready for prime time. But it's the only Android tablet I've seen that has an e-ink display and can install apps from the Google play store.

Have you tried a regular tablet, with a hi-res display, and found it hard on the eyes? Back when I wanted to get an e-ink display, I ended up getting a retina display iPad and my eyes had no complaints.

• 3 months later...

I have an Onyx Boox T68 device and my opinion is quite mixed. I originally bought to use for Pleco, but the touch screen is just not good enough. It is not very accurate. I use it as an ebook reader and for that its great. Well, would be, if it would not crash and reboot so often. Like after every 20-30 pages. Actually I hate this device, but I still use it because I paid so much for it and they could not repair it when I sent it back to Onyx.

• Like 1