Chinese-Forums

The Legality of Traditional Characters

ParkeNYU

The two articles below discuss the illegality of traditional Chinese characters in the People's Republic of China:

http://sz.oeeee.com/Channel/content/2006/200603/20060304/406714.html

http://www.shyywz.com/jsp/index/show.jsp?id=4453&newsType=157

However, after having spent only a few days in Shenzhen, I have encountered hundreds of traditional characters displayed publicly and prominently, in a variety of contexts and locales. Is this law simply not enforced? They are too outward and numerous to ignore. Perhaps this is a phenomenon unique to Shenzhen, due to its proximity to Hong Kong and Macau?

SZtradsimp.png

(CLICK TO ENLARGE)

Many historical and artistic sites in China will display traditional characters. A mainland friend once told me that traditional characters are used to symbolize elegance and having a long distinguished history. Similar to what renzhe said. 

Legality in China is a shape-shifting concept. It really depends on what mood the local party secretary is in. If he didn't enjoy lunch or didn't get his end away last night then it's illegal.

If his concubine does her job and dinner is up to par, then you can write in any script you choose.

• Like 3

I thought they had an exception for trademarks. I could be wrong, but I had heard somewhere that you couldn't use traditional characters on things that people needed to read, but they could be used for trademarked logos as those don't need to be read in most cases to be understood.

On my first night in Shenzhen, I had a late supper at The Laurel Restaurant (丹桂龫). Their menu was written in English and traditional Chinese characters, with no simplified characters to be found. Other than that, and some chalk prose wrought on the pavement, I've encountered traditional characters almost exclusively on signboards, posters, temples, and advertisements.