Chinese-Forums

Time Magazine's All-Time 100 best movies

Ian_Lee

The editor at Time didn't want this list to be taken as some sort of unchangable Bible, but rather as a way to spark debates. With that in mind, I have to admit (and millions will disagree with me), I really don't like "Chungking Express" by Wong Kar Wai. I also don't like Wong Kar Wai's movies in general. I'm sorry.

I'd suggest a classic Zhang Yimou movie like 红高粱 (Red Sorghum).

I'm amazed that Drunken Master 2 got in there. I didn't think it was that well known in the west. However It does express some anti-foreign sentiment (well anti British anyway), and Andy Lau's most pointless cameo role ever.

Hay, what's happening here? Throughout my life, I only met two people who don't like "Chungking Express", and they are right here: wushijiao and skylee. :tong

So sad we only have 4 places. I would definitely go with "Chungking Express" and "Farewell My Concubine". I don't know about "A Touch of Zen". If I could choose more movies... I would keep one place for Zhang Yimou. Yes, Red Sorghum is a masterpiece. I like Jiangwen's In the Sun's Heat. Among numerous fabulous commercial movies, I enjoyed Swordmen 2 a lot. And, don't ever forget Stephen Chow, maybe his 007 movie? The movie was not well recognized but really made me laugh a lot.

I think the choice of these 4 movies is quite impartial.

Apparently Time Magazine does not choose only art house movies (otherwise Star Wars will never make it onto the list).

Entertainment wise, I think "Drunken Master II" deserves a place. The movie has been limited wide released in late '90s in US. And Jackie Chan was in his best time when the movie was made. The fighting scene between Jackie Chan and Lau Kar Leung under the train carriage is especially eye blinking.

And "A Touch of Zen" is the frist Chinese martial art movie that received award in Cannes. In fact, the night fighting scene in the bamboo forst remains a classic. Even "Kung Fu Hustle" pays tribute to the movie by copying that scene.

I reckon the writers might have been a bit drunken themselves . .

.’Hey, let’s put Drunken Master in!’ – ‘hur hur, no, Drunken Master 2!’
I mean, logically, the four Chinese entries should be the 4 best Chinese films ever. And they’re not.
Andy Lau's most pointless cameo role ever.

I bet you 1,000,000 pounds you can't name an Andy Lau cameo with a point :mrgreen:

Roddy