Chinese-Forums

Reset pleco flashcards / change display settings

ChTTay

Hello there,

Reset

I deleted two thirds of my flashcards. I want to 'reset' all but two categories of the remaining flashcards so it's as if i've just added them. I've found a bit relating to doing that on the pleco site ...  but I'm unclear on some of the settings. I don't want to reset all the categories, just most of them.

In the 'Batch settings' it has  'Apply changes to: all cards, listed cards or selected cards' then you can also select the category. However, I am not asked to 'select' cards before I get a confirmation of resetting the score. The same when I select 'listed cards'. What do these two categories mean?

If have 'HSK5' category selected as 'apply changes to selected cards' will that just reset this category? or should I select 'all cards' (as in 'all cards in the category I select').

As a 'reset' do I want all scores at 100 or 0?

I'm confused.

Pleco site says...

The “Score” section lets you make various adjustments to cards’ scores. Change score lets you choose the type of adjustment you want to make: “reset to” simply sets all of the cards’ scores to a specific value, and “increase by” and “decrease by” let you increase or decrease scores by a specific number of points, or by a specific % of their current score. “rand increase” and “rand decrease” are very useful for repetition-spaced tests - they increase or decrease each card’s score by a different random number for each card, a random number between 0 and a number you specify. This is helpful if you find you have more cards due for repetition-spaced study than you can deal with; increasing cards’ scores increases the interval between repetitions, so using this command, some cards’ scores will only be increased by a small amount, or not at all, so they’ll still come up very soon, but other cards will have their repetition interval increased by several days or more, so you’ll have time to catch up on your other cards before you see them again. Amount lets you actually set what value to reset cards’ scores to, or how much to increase / decrease them by, and Unit (only for “increase by” and “decrease by”) lets you choose whether to increase / decrease cards’ scores by a fixed number of points or by a fixed percentage of their current number of points.

Display

I have made my own sentence flashcards in PLECO and i'm really enjoying it a lot more than just doing vocabulary alone. However, the display of my flashcards isn't so great. The font of the sentence flashcards is unnecessarily big and I also wan't to remove the traditional characters.

For the font size, is there any way just to change the display of these sentence flashcards?

For the traditional characters, is the only way to delete them? I would prefer just to hide them as I never know when I may need them one day...

I've had a search around the internet, this site and pleco but haven't found answers. I think I'm working with one eye closed though using 'bing' and being in China. :wall:help

Sorry for the confusion. "Batch" is certainly one of the more opaque parts of our app at the moment; if you're nervous about damaging something then I'd strongly recommend that you do a "Backup Database" before making any edits so that you can roll things back if something goes wrong.

"Listed Cards" = cards in the screen that you accessed Batch from, so if you're looking at a particular category in Organize that means all of the cards in that category.

"Selected Cards" = cards that you've tapped on to select them (after entering Edit mode)

So a reset with "apply changes to listed cards" when looking at HSK5 would only reset the cards in HSK5.

And you'd want to not just reset scores but "reset all card statistics" - that'll make it as if these were brand new cards.

For font size: no way to display just the sentence cards in a smaller font at the moment, I'm afraid, but you can adjust the font sizes in general in "Display," and if you'd like to do a test with just sentences (or just not sentences) you can easily filter cards by length in "card filters."

For simplified-only: in Display, turn on "force character set" and set the forced character set to "simp-only."

• Like 1

Thanks for the response Mike. That has solved everything.

Honestly, I find your help documentation a bit hard to navigate. I haven't found many answers in there beyond 'usage' information which, sometimes, is a bit hard to follow for me.

Would you considering making a technical FAQ section? Put common questions under categories like 'Flashcards' > 'Statistics' > then my question 'How can I reset my flashcards so they are as if I'd just added them?' then with an answer. You could have 'Flashcards > display > Can I change the display of certain flashcards? ...etc

Anyway, I only mention it as I'm aware you've answered a few of my problems/questions about pleco on this forum over the years. You are very generous with your time. Perhaps poolin all the Q/A's in one place would make things easier for you and pleco users.

Keep up the good work! I hassle everyone I know to use pleco and at least buy flashcards/a good dictionary. 8):lol:

No problem! Thanks for the word-of-mouth.

A FAQ for this sort of thing makes sense - would quickly make up the time it took to compile by saving time answering support emails. (you can find quite a lot of answers in our discussion forums now, but not all of them)

That being said, we really need a more intuitive manual too - considering hiring somebody who's *not* a programmer for that, actually, since it's a hard thing to do well when you're too close to the software you're documenting.