Chinese-Forums

Translation Help

中文新手

Hello. Your forum is great! This is my first post and I'm hoping someone can help with a translation. I want to know the appropriate Chinese characters for the phrase "Soothing (or calming) Hands" as in terms of massage. Is 安神手 close to the mark? Any suggestions or feedback greatly appreciated. 谢谢你!

Hi 新手:

I'm rather afraid that 安神手 doesn't make much sense, at least to me. 安神之手 might sound better, but still it is a weird expression. The problem is with the word "安神", I normally associate this word with those medications/pills that have a soothing effect. In my opinion I think you may need to elaborate on this phrase in order to fully express its meaning, I'm not sure, but if I were to interpret it into Chinese I would say "安抚心灵的手". Maybe I have misunderstood what the phrase "soothing hand" implies, but from my humble understanding of the English language, this is what I can gather. Let's see if we can get more satisfying answers from people who are more knowledgeable about both languages.

best,

lifesucks

Thanks 'Life Sucks'! Appreciate your feedback. What I'm looking for is a Chinese expression that comes close to the English term "Soothing Hands". A friend of mine will soon be completing her Theraputic Massage coursework and she'd like to have the Chinese characters for this term on her business cards. I've tried several terms including 安神 and even the adjective '减轻 but I'm still not sure if I'm on the right track. Like you said, perhaps other forum participants may have some ideas too. Either than or maybe my friend will need to try another way of expressing it - as in "Comforting Hands". 谢谢!

中文中没有"安神之手","寧神妙手"这些表达方法,只有一个"六神"牌的花露水,可以算是一种药吧.

"温柔的手"is enough. It also calls imagnation. I am a Chinese, and I know that.

中文中没有"安神之手"' date='"寧神妙手"这些表达方法,只有一个"六神"牌的花露水,可以算是一种药吧.

"温柔的手"is enough. It also calls imagnation. I am a Chinese, and I know that.[/quote']

呵呵,老兄,好像楼主问的就是按摩诊疗的招牌名号,不是修辞手法。我一开始也理解错了,以为他/她要写文章呢~ ^^

Thanks everyone! Appreciate your feedback. My friend agreed that "Soothing Hands" was probably too difficult a translation to make from English to Chinese so she is happy with the alternative suggested by RobinChase. I thought it looked nice too. In fact I've attached a copy of how it may look on the business card. 慢走!

• 3 weeks later...
yes! "安神手"is simply put the characters together!

It's not exact.

What do you mean by, "it's not exact?" My book mentions something about how, if you don't have a 的 in a monosyllabic adjective clause (好書 vs 好的書) the reference is changed from indefinite to definite. Does that apply to disyllabic adjectives as well?

nipponman

What do you mean by' date=' "it's not exact?" My book mentions something about how, if you don't have a 的 in a monosyllabic adjective clause (好書 vs 好的書) the reference is changed from indefinite to definite. Does that apply to disyllabic adjectives as well?

nipponman[/quote']

I think you misunderstood me. The reason for"安神手is not exact" is NOT that it dosn't have an auxiliary word"的"in it,BUT is that the word“安神”should never be used to modify the word"手". OK? Only someone want to create it as a new.

And好书has the same meaning with好的书!

But sometimes they are used alternatively.

“我有一本好书。”We seldom say:“我有一本好的书。”

“介绍一本比较好的书给我。”But we never say:“介绍一本比较好书给我。”that is,the 的is necessary in this sentence.

For more,we say“友好的朋友”,but we never say “友好朋友”. :roll:

I think you misunderstood me. The reason for"安神手is not exact" is NOT that it dosn't have an auxiliary word"的"in it,BUT is that the word“安神”should never be used to modify the word"手". OK?

Yeah you' right, but did you mean "exact", or "correct"? Because they are different. If you say that 安神手 is not exact, I get the impression that you mean that there is something wrong with the reference (or however my book explains it...), it turns out that 安神 is a verb, not an adjective (I didn't know the word before), and so would require a 的 in order to modify

手 in the form of a relative clause (i.e. "hands that soothe")

“介绍一本比较好的书给我。”But we never say:“介绍一本比较好书给我。”that is,the 的is necessary in this sentence.

I don't know why that is, at least, I don't see any reason for the 的 to be necessary. Could anyone expound?

And好书has the same meaning with好的书!

[

Their meaning is the same, but their REFERENCE is different.

For more,we say“友好的朋友”,but we never say “友好朋友”. :roll:

Ok, but then why do people say 黑色大衣, Instead of 黑色的大衣?

Only someone want to create it as a new.

I don't know what that means.

I don't know why that is, at least, I don't see any reason for the 的 to be necessary. Could anyone expound?

because of the degree adverb 比較, it's always 比較.......的[noun]

Ok, but then why do people say 黑色大衣, Instead of 黑色的大衣?

that's right but 友好朋友 sounds confusing, so the 的 is necessary.

because of the degree adverb 比較, it's always 比較.......的[noun]

Ok, thanks for that Quest.

that's right but 友好朋友 sounds confusing, so the 的 is necessary.

So basically, only colors can skate by without using 的?