Chinese-Forums

teaching german in china. demand?

syu.edu

hello,

just some days ago i have seen a CNN report about additional languages to be taught in chinese high schools (aditionally to english which would be french, german and spanish).

so i wonder, is there actually a demand for teaching german at universitys or even outside of universitys?

thanks a lot. :)

oops, just recognized that this forum is called "teaching english..." but i hope my topics fits in here aswell. :)

I would assume you could find a job teaching German, but you'd have to look hard. Most Chinese English majors have to chose a second foreign language. Usually, they have two choices-German or Japanese. In other words, there are a few hundered thousand students learning German in China. One of my old schools was looking for a Japanese teacher and I think, although I can't confirm, they were also looking for a German teacher.

You'll have to look hard. Be aggresive. :D

German is basically English with all the French bits taken out, so your question is welcome:wink:

If they're just starting German in high schools, then the chances are they aren't employing many foreign teachers of the language yet. However, German is one of the popular 'not English' choices for foreign language learners, and if you focus on universities that specialize in foreign languages you are likely to find opportunities. If your English is good enough that you can double up as English teacher as well, you'll be even more welcome.

Roddy

Yes, but there are more demand for French and Japanese teachers. Also you should try Language Institutes which teaches everything from English to Maori. But language institutes not only requires fluency but also previous experiences in teaching the language and probably a master's in the language. There is even less demand for Spanish. Here is a forum of Chinese learning German, which could be useful, Viel Glück!

http://www.s2.forumfactory.com/cgi-bin/s2/foren/F_0145/cutecast.pl?action=login&forum=9

-Shìbó :mrgreen:

heya thanks a lot for your replies!

I can now see that there is a small potential to become a german-language teacher in china. But, what exactly are the requirements? shibo77 stated some for so called "Language Institutes".

I can't really imagine that it is possible for a college graduate like me to teach her or his native language at a chinese high school. Or is it? :wink:

You probably need more degrees to get a teaching position, but they need native German speakers to read and record some dialogues. It sounds like a good job for me, unfortunately no one has offered me reading Chinese.

-Shìbó :mrgreen:

Virtually teachers for every European languages are sought in China. German is one of the languages which is in demand. If you can speak some Mandarin your skills will be in higher demand as there are many German companies where you will be able to get additional work (either translating Mandarin to German or visa versa).

I know that the Beijing agency we used to get our teaching jobs also place teachers with other non-English European languages.

... is there actually a demand for teaching german at universitys or even outside of universitys?

[/i]

Well apparently there is... There was a job posted on chinajobz for a german teacher in Zhejiang.

I´ll put it in your PM box...

• 2 years later...

alright. cool.

whom of you is in a job teaching german and can give an extensive statement of what it is like (institution/Location/teaching mode/payment/difficulties/qualification/general)?

cheers

Frederik

ps: i am a german with both a german uni degree in pedagogy plus one uni degree (adult education) done in britain. I dont know jack about china but fancy going there if there if job opportunities are good.

pps: please consider writing me the same thing as an email, i might not be around that forum too often.