Chinese-Forums

Speeches in Chinese

ouyangjun

Very well done!

Speaking to a large group is a completely different skill from chatting or conversing one-to-one, it requires just as much practice, and a lot of very specific vocabulary. I'm an English teacher, and have done quite a lot of teaching of this topic - but in English. I'd also like to develop my ability to give speeches and presentations in Chinese.

I often have to give presentations to large groups of students (100-200), and have recently started doing so partly in Chinese. I still feel like I'm a long way from being able to do so exclusively - and whether I should is another question, as they're supposed to be learning English...

I use Chinese to get their attention at the beginning and end - as you said:

Once I got up on stage and started speaking in Chinese the eruption of cheers and applaud from the audience gave me a pump of adrenaline and confidence that carried me through the speech and left me feeling happier than I ever imagined.  The bar was low... I'm the new leader here and most of the employees did not expect me to give a speech in Chinese :)

and although I don't get quite such an enthusiastic reception it definitely helps to engage. I also use Chinese to stress and reiterate key points, the things that they need to understand (e.g. log-in details, deadlines, course pathways - this stuff they need to know and those with poor English shouldn't be penalised, well at least not until assessment).

I also just finished four weeks at a Chinese language school, and gave a thank you speech in Chinese at the end, which was quite intimidating but very rewarding.

I'd like to start creating a bank of materials related to giving presentations in Chinese. In English, one of the barriers to speaking in public is that certain items of vocabulary and structural devices are needed which are generally not covered by your common- or garden- oral English classes/ textbooks. An example of this would be 'signpost language', which indicates to the audience where you are in the speech, what's coming up later, the transfer between topics or sections, etc. E.g. "that brings me to my next section", "before I finish, I'd like to...", "I'll begin by...", that kind of thing.

I've been trying to record this in Chinese when I come across it, but it's thin on the ground as a resource - you need to discover it in the wild, it seems to me.

Here's my first contribution:

That brings me to my second point - 这导致(我的)第二点

It would be interesting to here from better Chinese speakers how natural this type of thing sounds, and how necessary it is in presentations.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I would recommend to visit one of the toastmasters clubs in China, I've seen many of them in Beijing, Shanghai, must be some in your place as well.

Some of my Chinese friends increased their public speaking skills dramaticaly in those clubs.

Although they usually do public speaking activities in English, some of them do it in Chinese too.