Chinese-Forums

Pronunciations and Meanings for all grade characters

nipponman

Hi all,

I just started a new character-list project in which I am writing the lists for the characters and I got the grades from http://residence.educities.edu.tw/wei3128/currinstruc/wordclause/generwordgrd9.htm.

Problem is I don't have the pronunciations or the meanings for the characters and I don't want to rely on CQuickTrans again, so is there any websites anyone knows about that has the grades and the meanings/pronunciations? If not, I'll have to look up each entry in my handheld dictionary...

why don't you like cquicktrans?

and i think the concept of "grades" is pretty specific to that program, unless I'm wrong..

Well CQuickTrans is more of a glossary than a complete dictionary.

Did you check the link? It pretty much shows that there are grades (as I am calling them at least) The grades in CQuickTrans don't correspond to the "levels" on the link, that is why I want to use the link.

Well CQuickTrans is more of a glossary than a complete dictionary.

Did you check the link? It pretty much shows that there are grades (as I am calling them at least) The grades in CQuickTrans don't correspond to the "levels" on the link' date=' that is why I want to use the link.[/quote']

Heh I dunno why you keep posting links of pure Chinese material. I don't know where I gave the impression that I know Chinese, but I don't :)

Problem is I don't have the pronunciations or the meanings for the characters and I don't want to rely on CQuickTrans again, so is there any websites anyone knows about that has the grades and the meanings/pronunciations? If not, I'll have to look up each entry in my handheld dictionary...

Nice find on the graded character list.

This works for getting the pinyin and definition:

Go to the popsyjyio website for a pinyin-annotated version of the site you indicated. Save the annotated page as an HTML file and open it with a text editor.

http://www.popjisyo.com/WebHint/AddHint.aspx?d=9&e=Big5&r=e&s=0&du=http%253a%252f%252fwww.m-w.com%252fcgi-bin%252fdictionary%253fbook%253dDictionary%2526va%253d&u=http%253a%252f%252fresidence.educities.edu.tw%252fwei3128%252fcurrinstruc%252fwordclause%252fgenerwordgrd9.htm

You will see in the HTML file the pinyin guides, as well as the definitions, like the following:

[['級','ji2'],['','level'],['','grade'],['','rank'],['','step']],

[['字','zi4'],['','letter'],['','symbol'],['','character'],['','word']],

[['約','yue1'],['','appointment'],['','agreement'],['','to arrange'],['','to restrict'],['','approximately']],

I've attached the first 700 characters in a zipped text file for your reference. I actually extracted the entire 5000+ character list, but the upload limit here is only 19KB.

[since Roddy increased the upload limit, I've added the 5000-character list, extracted from Nipponman's link. The file is in Unicode UTF-8 format, and the characters are in traditional form. You can easily convert the characters to simplified form using one of the software packages (e.g. NJStar).]

thanks gato, but I can't take credit for the list. Someone else found it on this website.

Heh I dunno why you keep posting links of pure Chinese material. I don't know where I gave the impression that I know Chinese, but I don't :)

Just trying to show you some grades.

WOW nice work on the word list RODDY! When i found the above link the other day i started, doing the same thing as you have obviously finished. How long did it take you to put that together?

And that popjiso(sp) webpage is legendary. Helps me read the mornign sports section everyday! :clap