Chinese-Forums

Publishing a paper possibly?

novemberfog

I am in the final stages of writing a paper that I feel is worthy of publishing. Whether that holds in the eyes of editors is another issue though. :) It is in the area of phonetics. I was looking for information on this topic just for personal knowledge, but was unable to find the information all in one place, or with any comments and rules et cetera. So I undertook this paper through reading Chinese sources about it. Currently I'm having two native speakers read the paper, and I am waiting to hear their input.

That being said, I am not a sinologist or linguist. In fact, I only hold a B.S. in engineering. I just feel this paper might be of use to others. In engineering, with a B.S. it is possible to pulish papers if the editors think the information is good. What about in the field of Chinese language or instruction? Is a M.A. or Ph.D. required? Does one have to be a member of a journal to publish? What journals are out there? I don't have access to a University library to be honest.

I just want to see if I might be able to get it published. If not, I'll take to the layman's publishing method: get some webhosting and make a webpage to host it. I just feel in a journal or magazine related to Chinese studies, it might have a better chance of being read and possibly used.

I appreciate any input or comments. Thank you.

My first reaction is that publishing it online would be the best method – simple, free, and you’ll probably get read a lot more than you would in any academic journal, even if the prestige is somewhat diminished.

If you are keen to go the academic route, I’d suggest you track down some academics with an interest in the same field and see where they publish, and start from there – perhaps getting them to read it and comment as well.