Chinese-Forums

Video Vocabulary

arreke

As my graduation project I'm working on freeware Android application, which provides video examples from Chinese movies for the words from HSK. I hope it'll help some students to better understand how native speakers use those words in real life.

The method of practicing words I used in application is based on my own experience of preparing for HSK ))

This project is absolutely freeware and for the current moment I've just finished an Android version and started developing iOS version of the app. 

Download Android version - http://pan.baidu.com/s/1kTzLzqn

I'm open to any suggestions and feedback ))

Especially from those who is preparing or has been preparing for HSK...

• Like 1

Are there any HSK teachers on this forum, who has experience of evaluating HSK papers?

Or at least, who knows how to evaluate HSK papers, how to give a feedback to a student, how to point out what student should work on to improve his HSK scores...

This is a great idea, does it cover all the words in the HSK? Is it able to source material automatically or do /you/ have to manually add the material into the software? Is it possible to use custom sources?

Do you plan on publishing the source on Github or similar? It would make people feel more comfortable installing it if it was open sourced or published on a trusted source (google play).

• Like 1

For the current moment about 700 words, what is only 15% of 5000 words )) Still a long way to go...

I have to add words manually, because every word must consist at list 1 link to video example on Youku or Youtube, I couldn't find any wordlist with video examples on the Internet... If there are some, let me know :)

Well, I've never thought about publishing it on Github, may be later, when I reach 5000 words from HSK...

Google Play doesn't work in China, I've published it on Amazon.com, but still it's not downloadable in China, 百度手机助手 and 360 rejected publishing my app, because it shows videos from Youku, and only enterprises are allowed to do so, not a simple apps like mine ))

I strongly suggest not linking to an online video on youku/etc. That takes away the convenience. Instead you can chop up a movie and index the clips in a database along with the subtitle text, Then just automatically query the database with all the words and generate the references. This would make it much easier to quickly scale up and also use customized sources by just adding subtitles and video clips through a standard filename convention and csv file.

Also, I'm surprised they rejected your app on that basis, what's their definition of an enterprise? Do they need some kind of licensing agreement?

Anyway, I'll see about trying the app later.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Also, I'm surprised they rejected your app on that basis, what's their definition of an enterprise? Do they need some kind of licensing agreement?

Because of the copyright reasons...

Apps with a video player must provide copyrights for the videos they broadcast, otherwise they are not allowed to be published on Baidu Market, in other words, only Youku, Tudou, iQiYi etc. are able to publish their players on Baidu Market.

So I decided to work with Google Play instead, yesterday I published the latest stable version, hope you can download it and tell me what you think, any feedback would be appreciated ))

Google Play link - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=kz.algakzru.youtubevideovocabulary

So there's no way to use your app unless you have an Android device?

Right, for the current moment only Android is supported, I'm also working on iOS version, hope I can publish it by the end of this summer.

So there's no way to use it on desktop computers?

Yes, I haven't build a computer version either.

Now I can see, I should have made it first.

I am thinking of making a website next month, so it would work on any platform, what do you think?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if its working quite right. For example I clicked 重色轻友 and the title was "The word "丑" in the movie "非诚勿扰".

It was the very basic version, some words share similar video, for instance video for 重色轻友 is the same with video for 丑.

But I'm making an updated version, the word will be emphasized in the video by changing it's color in the subtitles.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it seems completely different now. It asks for a missing word and you have the option to play the video....but if you do then you can't see the sentence anymore. Also you don't seem to be able to select a word. Not sure exactly what you're supposed to do with it.

Well it seems completely different now. It asks for a missing word and you have the option to play the video....

Also if you click on the text it shows pinyin and spaces between words

but if you do then you can't see the sentence anymore. 

well, all the sentences are in subtitles, so while watching the video you not only can listen to them, but also read them, moreover, in subtitles the colour of the missing word is yellow, so I thought it'll make it easy to recognise it.

Also you don't seem to be able to select a word. Not sure exactly what you're supposed to do with it.

I made this one to practice reading and listening, I try to read the text out loud and recognise which word is missing, if I don't recognise some character I click on it - the pinyin appears, then I play the video and listen how native narrator pronounced this text... then I try to imitate him ))

I do this practice every day over and over again, it helps to improve reading and listening, and also increases vocabulary a little bit ))

Ok it sounds good for your use but when other people go there its not obvious what to do with it. Also it asks which word is missing so instinctively I want to answer that question by selecting or entering a word. Or if not maybe just add some kind of guide so its more clear?

Ok it sounds good for your use but when other people go there its not obvious what to do with it. Also it asks which word is missing so instinctively I want to answer that question by selecting or entering a word. Or if not maybe just add some kind of guide so its more clear?

Totally agree with you ))

I've amended http://videovocabulary.ucoz.com/vv a little bit, could you please have a look ?

Is it still difficult to understand what to do with it now?