Chinese-Forums

How not to enrol for the HSK . . .

roddy

Ah, clever old me. Idly checking my email this morning, decided to go to the HSK site to see when the enrolment period is (the sites actually working just now). Ooooh, last day's the 10th of December. Check watch, it's the 10th of December. That's ok then. 5 minutes later have one of those 'God I'm an idiot' moments when I remember my watch runs 24 hours slow.

Phone number on HSK website. No answer.

Phone again. Get told to phone the other number on HSK website.

Phone other number. No, you can't enrol. No, we've sent our forms in already. Oh, ok, if you're going to beg, try this number.

Phone other number. Get given another number, maybe they can help you.

Phone other number. Yes, no problem. You just need to get here by 1pm. We're a language school on the other side of the city. It's 11.30am. Queue frantic rush to find passport (quite fortunate, as it was in the pocket of a pair of jeans in the laundry pile - could have been very unpleasant), two passport photos (found ones from last year I didn't use, as they had a digital camera) and the necessary cash. Realised the address they'd given me was actually very near Beijing Station, so I could just get the subway and not risk traffic, and had everything finished with 30 minutes to spare.

Phew. Would have been very very embarassing to have taken the last 3 months to study (not that I've done much) and then fail to take the exam due to being an idiot. Having said that, if I had missed the change to enrol, it would have been yet another entry in the 'Own Stupid Fault' folder . . .

Roddy