Chinese-Forums

Monty Python - I Like Chinese

Shelley

I just came across this and it made me smile. :)

I feel I should warn you it may offend some if only because it was written decades ago and things weren't so PC then. I don't think it is terrible but some might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqvweTYTI0

I do hope that it is taken in the spirit it was intended and causes a chuckle or 2. :D

I suppose this may be old hat to some but it was new to me so I figured it maybe new to others.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Up vote! Made a mistake.

Edit

Here is something on topic. (I might be an octoroon Turkish, I don't know)

"How do you rehabilitate your love for art works based on expired and inhuman social values—and why bother? It’s easier to just discard the works that look as ungainly to us now as “The Octoroon.” But if you don’t throw out the past, or gloss it over, you can get something like “An Octoroon”: a work of joy and exasperation and anger that transmutes historical insult into artistic strength."

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/reading-racist-literature?mbid=social_facebook

• Like 1

Wow, I didn't expect that :) From something silly and funny to something serious.

I expected to be scolded maybe for reinvigorating something that should have been left alone.

I had to go and look up the word Octoroon

The word octoroon means one-eighth black. Half black is a mulatto, a quarter black is a quadroon.

My grandfather is Turkish, my grandmother is English, therefore my mother is half and half. My father is Egyptian. Wonder what that makes me? :shock:

Looked up the play and the book briefly. may give it a longer look later.

Thanks for that interesting word.

The thing is that every time I think to myself 'I like Chinese' in the sense of 我喜欢中文 this song ends up in my head. And it is rather stereotypical about Zhongguorrrren, but so very catchy!

我爱中国人

我爱中国人

我爱中国人

你好吗 你好吗 你好吗 再见

I like Chinese people

I like Chinese people

I like Chinese people

How are you how are you how are you goodbye

Weirdest bridge ever.